[comp.sys.sun] GNU Emacs under SunOS 4.1

lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (11/16/90)

I am trying to compile GNU Emacs 18.55 under SunOS 4.1, and everything
seems to be working fine all the way uptil installation of the software,
and I get no error messages what soever. I always seem to get Fatal error
(6), and a core is dumped. When I do an adb on the core file, I get the
message SIGIOT 6: abort. I tried xemacs (x window version) with sticky bit
on, setuid on, and all possible permutations, including with 0755
protection mode, and I always get this error message. Is there any thing I
am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Binod Taterway				LUBKT@vax1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
User Consultant				LUBKT@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Lehigh University, Beth, PA.
(215) 758-3984.

pmeese@sanwaBGK.com (Philip Meese) (11/29/90)

In article <276@brchh104.bnr.ca> lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>I am trying to compile GNU Emacs 18.55 under SunOS 4.1, and everything
>seems to be working fine all the way uptil installation of the software,
>and I get no error messages what soever. I always seem to get Fatal error
>(6), and a core is dumped. When I do an adb on the core file, I get the
>message SIGIOT 6: abort.

I had the same *&#! problem. I include a little section from my config.h
file (emacs/src/config.h) which took care of it:

 /* SunOS 4.1 localtime scribbles on the ninth byte.
  * This includes a workaround piece of code in
  * malloc.c
  */
 #define SUNOS_LOCALTIME_BUG

Then in your malloc.c at about line 479 you need:
 #ifdef SUNOS_LOCALTIME_BUG
    /* SunOS 4.1 localtime scribbles on the ninth byte.  */
    nbytes = (n + ((sizeof *p + 15) & ~15) + EXTRA + 15) & ~15;
 #else
     nbytes = (n + ((sizeof *p + 7) & ~7) + EXTRA + 7) & ~7;
 #endif
...instead of:

   nbytes = (n + ((sizeof *p + 7) & ~7) + EXTRA + 7) & ~7;

Good Luck.

On Assignment:               |  Office:
Sanwa-BGK Securities         |  PM Projects, Inc.
pmeese@sanwaBGK.com          |  email:  pmeese@pmp.com