[comp.sys.sun] broadcast address

stanonik@nprdc.navy.mil (03/20/90)

The subject of broadcast storms has come up again in another mailing list
(tcp-ip).  Sun still (sunos4.0.3) seems to distribute systems with 0 in
the host part as the default broadcast address.  Why?  Long ago the
internet community seems to have settled on all 1's in the host part for a
broadcast address.  True, if we don't like the default, we can ifconfig
broadcast address, but why does the default continue to differ from the
"standard"?

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
stanonik@nprdc.navy.mil

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (11/21/90)

Anyone know why sun, in 4.1, is still broadcasting on the obsolete .0
address instead of .255?

barmar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Barry Margolin) (11/30/90)

In article <411@brchh104.bnr.ca> benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:
>Anyone know why sun, in 4.1, is still broadcasting on the obsolete .0
>address instead of .255?

I've assumed that they maintain this incorrect default for backward
compatibility.  If a site adds a 4.1 system to a network containing older
releases they shouldn't be forced to reconfigure all the other systems.

Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.
barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

katz@rpal.com (11/30/90)

In article <411@brchh104.bnr.ca> benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:

> Anyone know why sun, in 4.1, is still broadcasting on the obsolete .0
> address instead of .255?

My understanding is that there are still some old machines around that are
pathological with =respect to .255 broadcasts.  In particular, these
machines rebroadcast any packets sent to the .255 broadcast address.
Several vendors have continued to use the obsolete addresses in order to
avoid the broadcast storm which can result from having an outdated host on
ones net.  I agree that it would be far preferable to have a question in
suninstall which let you set the broadcast default.

Morry Katz
katz@rpal.com (other)