[comp.sys.sun] User Interface Builder Program for OpenWindows 2.0 ??

carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) (11/01/90)

Does anyone know of or use a user interface development system that runs
for OpenWindows 2.0?  I keep hearing that Sun or some third party is
coming out with one that provides tools similar to those found on the NeXT
machine.  Thanks.....

venkat@uunet.uu.net (D Venkatrangan) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Oct31.235932.22922@rice.edu> carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) writes:
>Does anyone know of or use a user interface development system that runs
>for OpenWindows 2.0?  I keep hearing that Sun or some third party is
>coming out with one that provides tools similar to those found on the NeXT
>machine.  Thanks.....

Try OpenWindows Developer's Guide from SUN.  Part number 800-5381-10,
version 1.1.  This is really a very good package.  It allows you to your
custom-code to co-exist with generated UI code, an important consideration
if your UI is constantly evolving.  As far as I know, it can only generate
C code though.  For $250 it is a definitely worth every $.

felix@ai.sri.com (Francois Felix INGRAND) (12/01/90)

In article <393@brchh104.bnr.ca> matrix!venkat@uunet.uu.net (D Venkatrangan) writes:
   In article <1990Oct31.235932.22922@rice.edu> carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) writes:
   >Does anyone know of or use a user interface development system that runs
   >for OpenWindows 2.0?  I keep hearing that Sun or some third party is
   >coming out with one that provides tools similar to those found on the NeXT
   >machine.  Thanks.....

   Try OpenWindows Developer's Guide from SUN.  Part number 800-5381-10,
   version 1.1.  This is really a very good package.  It allows you to your
   custom-code to co-exist with generated UI code, an important consideration
   if your UI is constantly evolving.  As far as I know, it can only generate
   C code though.  For $250 it is a definitely worth every $.

Not quite, I think it can also generate C++, and if you have Sun Lisp 4.0,
you can get some Common Lisp/CLOS code.

Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
(415) 859-5584                                  MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA

pete@TIRS.oz.au (Peter Bartel) (12/01/90)

From article <393@brchh104.bnr.ca>, by matrix!venkat@uunet.uu.net (D Venkatrangan):
> Try OpenWindows Developer's Guide from SUN.  Part number 800-5381-10,
> version 1.1.  This is really a very good package.  It allows you to your
> custom-code to co-exist with generated UI code, an important consideration
> if your UI is constantly evolving.  As far as I know, it can only generate
> C code though.  For $250 it is a definitely worth every $.

Version 1.1 comes with a gxv++ program to generate C++ code, but it didn't
make it into the manual. Unfortunately, the stubsmerge program (for
merging your changes with re-generated UI code) only works with straight
C.

International		Peter Bartel	Senior Software Engineer Railroad
Phone:		+61-8-232-1740 Systems			Faxstream:
+61-8-232-2274 (Electronics)		E-mail:		pete@TIRS.oz.au
209-217 Wakefield St, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000