[comp.sys.sun] What is SUN's official upgrade policy?

dan@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Dan Severance) (11/21/90)

Can anyone comment on the probability that SUN will offer an upgrade to
the SparcStation 2 from a SparcStation 1.  I don't know if SS2's have even
been announced yet, but we are interested in being able to upgrade.  Can
SUN (or does SUN) comment on their policy in this regard?  I'd like to
know the official position on this matter...

    Thanks,
      Dan Severance
      dan@rani.chem.yale.edu

root@athena.cs.uga.edu (Operator) (12/05/90)

In article <384@brchh104.bnr.ca> dan@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Dan Severance)
writes:

>Can anyone comment on the probability that SUN will offer an upgrade to
>the SparcStation 2 from a SparcStation 1?

Yes, SUN does have an upgrade for $7k. You get a new chassis, 16 MB RAM,
and a 207 MB disk.

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (12/09/90)

In <610@brchh104.bnr.ca> root@athena.cs.uga.edu (Operator) writes:

>In article <384@brchh104.bnr.ca> dan@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Dan Severance)
>writes:

>>Can anyone comment on the probability that SUN will offer an upgrade to
>>the SparcStation 2 from a SparcStation 1?

>Yes, SUN does have an upgrade for $7k. You get a new chassis, 16 MB RAM,
>and a 207 MB disk.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not so sure about the disk....  Here's what I got from my Sun person:

Upgrades
--------

SPARCstation 1 or 1+ to SPARCstation 2 Upgrade
    8 MB 4/60 or 4/65 to 16 MB 4/75 Base Swap
                        UG4/6X-V16      $6,995          A

Notes: 1. No country kit required.

       2. SPARCstation 2 upgrades require SunOS 4.1.1 or later release, order
           USS2-07 or USX-21 at no charge if media is required.

       3. Additional memory must be ordered as a separate line item.

       4. For internal or external storage option, order as separate line item.

It doesn't say anything about getting a new disk.  If you already had 2 in
your SS1, you wouldn't have anywhere to put the extra drive!

The question that I have is this.  A new SS2 comes with GX as the base
graphics option.  If you do an upgrade from a regular color SS1, do you
get GX or do you get stuck with the old color card?

| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
| (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |
|     UUCP:   ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!rhoward        |