[comp.sys.sun] Looking for Amiga <--> SPARCstation 1 disk exchange utilities

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (12/08/90)

I have a large number of files residing on a SPARCstation I, which I would
like to transfer to my Amiga 1000.  I note with interest that both of
these machines have 3.5" floppy disk drives, and, although I realize that
just having drives for the same size diskettes is far from complete
compatibility, I've seen enough miracles performed to ask:

Is there any utility, PD or otherwise, for either the Amiga or the SPARC-
station, which will allow either of them to read/write the other's disk
format?  This would save me a tremendous amount of time compared with my
only current alternative, 2400-baud Kermit...

Please reply via e-mail even if you also post, as I am unable to keep up
with the volume of these newsgroups (comp.sys.sun and comp.sys.amiga);
thanks in advance for any replies!

[[Ed's Note: Although there probably does not exist a Sparc->Amiga format
program, you could probably use MTOOLS to write your Sparc files out to
disk in MS-DOS format and then use some other Amiga tool to read the
MS-DOS files on your Amiga. -bdg]]

   Chris Chiesa
     Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

john@nereid.jpl.nasa.gov (John Veregge) (12/09/90)

In article <630@brchh104.bnr.ca>, Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
|> Is there any utility, PD or otherwise, for either the Amiga or the SPARC-
|> station, which will allow either of them to read/write the other's disk
|> format?  ...
|>
|> [[Ed's Note: Although there probably does not exist a Sparc->Amiga format
|> program, you could probably use MTOOLS to write your Sparc files out to
|> disk in MS-DOS format and then use some other Amiga tool to read the
|> MS-DOS files on your Amiga. -bdg]]

I am also interested in Amiga <==> Sparc disk transfers.

My use of 'man [-k] mtools' has been without success.  So, what be and
where be these MTOOLS?

[[Ed's Note: Since it seems to be a very commonly asked question, here is
the information for MTOOLS again. The program was first reviewed in v9n142
by Erach Irani (irani@umn.edu) who was looking for ways to transfer files
from his Sparcstation to an IBM PC. He concluded that MTOOLS was the
fastest/easiest way to do this. At the time of writing, there were a few
patches that dealt with writing in 720k format (low density) and the like.
I later (v9n212) got these from the author (Viktor Dukhovni -
viktor@math.princeton.edu) and made them available on Titan. So....

MTOOLS Main Program Source:

23~FTP	Hostname : uunet.uu.net (192.48.96.2)
	Directory: comp.sources.misc/volume11/sparc-mtools
	Filenames: part{01|02|03}.Z

(I'm not sure what kind of archive server services uunet offers - I keep
hearing rumors about them existing but being only for uunet customers.
Your best bet if you don't have FTP access would be to use BITFTP at
Princeton.)

MTOOLS Patches:

FTP	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : mtools.patches
	Filesize : 11617 bytes

Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source mtools.patches

lindner@uunet.uu.net (Paul Lindner) (12/10/90)

In <724@brchh104.bnr.ca> john@nereid.jpl.nasa.gov (John Veregge) writes:

>In article <630@brchh104.bnr.ca>, Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com writes:
>|> Is there any utility, PD or otherwise, for either the Amiga or the SPARC-
>|> station, which will allow either of them to read/write the other's disk
>|> format?  ...

>I am also interested in Amiga <==> Sparc disk transfers.

[a little plug about mtools here]

Another possible solution is to convince your sysadmin to upgrade to SunOS
4.1.1.  There are a few new goodies in this release such as [drum roll
please] a pcfs.  [i.e. MS-DOS based filesystem]  I haven't had much time
to play with it.  (Upgrading 30+ machines to 4.1.1 does that to you!)  But
I was able to format a pc disk and mount it as a file system.  Really
cool.  Try it, you'll like it!

Paul Lindner, Univ. of MN   \ Microcomputer /  Pauls Law: You can't
IT Sun dude, & UofM ACM pres \ Workstation / fall off the floor.
lindner@boombox.micro.umn.edu \ Networks  / {...!rutgers!umn-cs!lindner}