[net.news.group] time to create mod.recipes

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (11/19/85)

One month ago I proposed in net.cooks that a new newsgroup be created to
support a mechanized "net cookbook". It received enthusiastic support there.
20 days ago I proposed in net.news.group that "mod.recipes" be created to
serve this purpose. As of today, I have received the following responses:
   * Public postings: 13 in favor, 2 against. It is worth noting that both
     of the posted "against" responses based their vote on conditions
     that are demonstrably false.
   * Private mail to me: 34 in favor, 2 against.

I claim that we have now satisfied the formal requirements for the creation
of a new moderated newsgroup; I hereby formally request that it be created
with me as the moderator. I would like to begin traffic on mod.recipes on
December 1.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

craig@dcl-cs.UUCP (Craig Wylie) (11/25/85)

In article <1384@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

>One month ago I proposed in net.cooks that a new newsgroup be created to
>support a mechanized "net cookbook". It received enthusiastic support there.
>20 days ago I proposed in net.news.group that "mod.recipes" be created to
>serve this purpose. As of today, I have received the following responses:
>   * Public postings: 13 in favor, 2 against. It is worth noting that both
>     of the posted "against" responses based their vote on conditions
>     that are demonstrably false.
	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

	I feel that this is a bit strong  --  the reason I posted against
this is that I never see net.cooks (or more to the point that there is
never anything in it). The reason for this is that it does not seem
to be carried by the siesmo-mcvax link. Therefore in my domain what I said
was not false. I recieved of the order of 7 mail messages, 3 mildly abusive,
3 highly sarcastic and 1 polite . The vote was 6 to 1 in favour of
net/mod.recipies --  all came from the states, so Ok in the states it would
see to be a reasonable idea. We don't get net.cooks,
I don't see any reason why we should recieve mod.recipies. If it is created,
and I believe it has been, then keep it to the US or
wherever else carries net.cooks (I can not comment on Australia).

It makes me wonder if it is necessary for the European side of things to
maintain empty news groups or moderated groups  --  could somebody tell
me if it is necessary?

		Craig.
--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp@ucl-cs 	  |	  Department of Computing,

ncx@cheviot.uucp (Lindsay F. Marshall) (11/26/85)

In article <811@dcl-cs.UUCP> craig@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Craig Wylie) writes:
>....... We don't get net.cooks,
>I don't see any reason why we should recieve mod.recipies. If it is created,
>and I believe it has been, then keep it to the US or
>wherever else carries net.cooks (I can not comment on Australia).

I would love to get net.cooks (and net.veg and net......) and I would
also love to get mod.recipes. I dont suppose that they will get over
here though. *SIGH*

Lindsay F. Marshall, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
  ARPA  : lindsay%cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
  JANET : lindsay@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
  UUCP  : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!lindsay