[comp.sys.sun] Recommendations for WYSWYG word processor needed

shaulm@TECHUNIX.BITNET (Shaul Markovitch) (12/05/90)

I am new to the SUN's world and need some advice from the net.  I have
been using Mac for word processing until recently.  Now I have to use the
SUN, and I don't like the troff/tex approach.

Are there any WYSWYG word processors for the SUN? if there are, I would be
glad to hear some recommendations.  I'll be using it mainly for writing
papers.

nobody@kodak.com (12/09/90)

In article <598@brchh104.bnr.ca> shaulm@TECHUNIX.BITNET (Shaul Markovitch) writes:

>Are there any WYSWYG word processors for the SUN? if there are, I would be
>glad to hear some recommendations.  I'll be using it mainly for writing
>papers.

I like the Island Graphics package (it was formerly STAGE by Sun) Write
Draw & Paint.  FrameMaker is OK also,  I like Island Graphics better.  The
cost is a real "sticker shocker" if you are use to Mac prices.  I think
its around $1000 these days.  We bought the package back in the days when
Sun directly marketed the package under the name STAGE.  Back then there
was a discount for a "10-pack" order.

caxwgk@relay.eu.net (Wolfgang Kuehnel) (12/13/90)

From article <598@brchh104.bnr.ca>, by shaulm@TECHUNIX.BITNET (Shaul Markovitch):
> I am new to the SUN's world and need some advice from the net.  I have
> been using Mac for word processing until recently.  Now I have to use the
> SUN, and I don't like the troff/tex approach.
> Are there any WYSWYG word processors for the SUN? if there are, I would be
> glad to hear some recommendations.  I'll be using it mainly for writing
> papers.

Common applications in that field are Framemaker from FRAME Corp. and
Interleave by Interleave.  I use the former, in spite of some problems.
It has very few "compatible" file formats and some really silly approches
to how you format paragraphs.  Sometimes the user interface is a bit
complicated, but what can you expect from a complex tool? It's only black
and white. It has floating licesenses which make it quite easy to install
and manage. It didn't change from 4.0.3 to 4.1.