[comp.sys.sun] Anyone using the BETA Release of Sunlink X.25 7.0??

carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) (12/12/90)

Is anyone out there using the BETA version of Sunlink X.25 Version 7.0?  I
wanted to get in on the BETA program, but I got shut out.  Can you please
tell me if the dynamic IP to NTN number mapping feature is working so that
SVCs can be used on demand to any IP hosts I might want to talk to?
Please respond via email or telephone if appropriate.  Thanks alot.

						Chris Arnone
						Bell Labs - Holmdel
						homxc!carnone
						(201) 949-5412

dupont@inria.inria.fr (Francis Dupont) (12/13/90)

In article <765@brchh104.bnr.ca>, carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) writes:
> Is anyone out there using the BETA version of Sunlink X.25 Version 7.0?
> ... Can you please tell me if the dynamic IP to NTN number mapping feature
> is working so that SVCs can be used on demand to any IP hosts ?

The replacement of x25manager is available in France as a patch for
SunLink X.25 6.0. Its name is x25mgr, it supports :

o static VC management for IP over X.25 (same thing than old x25manager)
o dynamic VC management for IP over X.25 with :
  * establishment of VC on demand (with a lookup in a table for the mapping
    between "X.25 addresses" and IP addresses)
  * VC shutdown on timeout
o dynamic VC management for DDN networks
o dynamic VC management for OSI/CLNP

It is far better than x25manager :

o "parse only" command option (exits after parsing configuration)
o re-read of configuration file on hangup signal
o new parameters in listener and path sections :
   * linkid
   * local_x121
   * timeout (if dynamic)
   * pvc
   * reverse_charge
   * facilities (packet & window sizes, "thruputs", cug, rpoa)
o more reliable

The bad news : it is NOT available outside France (a new case of Sun user
support policy). I don't know the real reason ?

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr