[comp.sys.sun] Openwindows - 4 Megs vs. 8 Megs

lavar@cs.washington.edu (LaVar Edwards) (01/09/91)

We have a couple of Sun 3/50's with 4M and running OpenWindows.  Before
you ask, yes it does start up after about ~10 min and it is worthless.

What I was wondering was what kind of performance could we get if we
purchased an additional 4 Meg (8 total) for these machines.

LaVar Edwards                   E-Mail   lavar@grlab.UUCP
USPS:  Graphicus                  or     ...!hpubvwa!grlab!lavar

holdenm@stolaf.edu (Mark Holden) (01/11/91)

In article <1130@brchh104.bnr.ca> hpubvwa!grlab!lavar@cs.washington.edu (LaVar Edwards) writes:
>We have a couple of Sun 3/50's with 4M and running OpenWindows.  Before
>you ask, yes it does start up after about ~10 min and it is worthless.
>
>What I was wondering was what kind of performance could we get if we
>purchased an additional 4 Meg (8 total) for these machines.

Well, I've run Openwindows on a couple of 3/50s, one has 8M and does a
marginal job of it, the other has 12M and does much better.  One thing
that makes a huge difference on the Sun 3s (and to a lesser extent on the
Sun 4s) is running Openwindows without the NeWS server.  You do this by
setting the environment variable X11ONLY=true Without this, the 3/50 will
be unberably slow even with 8M.  Or such has been my experience.  I'd say
without at least 8M, it'd just be a joke to run Openwindows.  In general
we've found it to be sluggish on a SPARC (SLC) with the base 8M also.  Of
course, I won't be using the 3/50s (or the SLCs) much longer, they're
becoming IPC's... (Just the 3/50s)

rc@bellcore.bellcore.com (25815-Richard Casto) (01/12/91)

I just got a Sun IPC with the default of 8M, and OpenWindows is a little
slow - sometimes when you select/release on a menu and you don't see
anything happen you think you didn't do it right when really it is just
being slow - so we plan on maxing them out on memory.  If you can afford
it, you might as well get more.

|  Rich Casto                 ||  Internet: bellcore!porthos!pyuxe!mruxb!rc |
|  Bellcore, Piscatway, NJ    ||     Voice: (908) 699-4330                  |

daniel@uunet.uu.net (Dan Smith) (01/13/91)

>In article <1130@brchh104.bnr.ca> hpubvwa!grlab!lavar@cs.washington.edu (LaVar Edwards) writes:
>>We have a couple of Sun 3/50's with 4M and running OpenWindows.  Before
>>you ask, yes it does start up after about ~10 min and it is worthless.
>>
>>What I was wondering was what kind of performance could we get if we
>>purchased an additional 4 Meg (8 total) for these machines.

1) grab the X11R4 source with the first 18 patches, compile and install...
2) double the memory if you can to 8

This should be somewhat useable.  OW is a memory swine, although someone
else's suggestion of setting X11ONLY (or some such) to true is a good one
and should be checked out.  By using the MIT server, you'll be giving up
SunView compatibility (but there are ways of running both at once and
switching back and forth), but there are so many good (and free!) X
programs out there that perhaps you won't miss SunView.

Also, there is a program available called Xkernel, which I understand
effectively turns your 3/50 into an X display terminal (breathe new life
into it!), so that you can run your clients off of some server that's more
powerful (like a 3/280 or 4/280, etc.) Check the ls-lR from uunet or
recent comp.archives postings for availability/more info.  Good luck!

daniel@island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel@world.std.com      4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903
dansmith@well.sf.ca.us      Fax: 491 0402 Disclaimer: Hey, I wrote it, not IG!