[comp.sys.sun] 4/490 w/SCSI disks

garlick@ucsco.ucsc.edu (Tim Garlick -- UCSC Computer Center) (01/11/91)

Has anyone bought a 4/490, added a SCSI host adapter and then used SCSI
disks?  In particular 1.2 Gbyte disks from HP or Seagate?  Or any other
SCSI disks.  If so, did you have any problems?  Sun does not support this
configuration (because they want to force you to buy IPI drives, I guess),
but being able to use SCSI disks would sure be nice.

Thanks,
Tim Garlick		Internet: garlick@ucsco.ucsc.edu
UCSC CATS		Bitnet:   garlick@ucsco.bitnet
			UUCP:     ...ucbvax!ucscc!garlick

wgstuken@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock) (01/15/91)

garlick@ucsco.ucsc.edu (Tim Garlick -- UCSC Computer Center) writes:

>Has anyone bought a 4/490, added a SCSI host adapter and then used SCSI
>disks?

Yes we have. It will work with any SCSI-disk that works on ather sun's.
We use at the moment one Fujitsu 600MByte Disc. (I don't know the
part-number.)

>If so, did you have any problems?

Up to now, no problems. The normal speed restrictions of SCSI when using
more then 3 discs on the same bus is valid.

>Sun does not support this
>configuration (because they want to force you to buy IPI drives, I guess),
>but being able to use SCSI disks would sure be nice.

Up to the moment, when sun throught out the SCSI-driver of the kernel,
SCSI-disc are a cheap alternative to IPI-disc (when speed is not so
important).

The "missing" support for SCSI-disc on Sparc-servers is the same as the
"stupid" statement from SUN (at the beginning - up to now they give it up)
that the CD-ROM will not work on Sun 3's.

Wolfgang