[comp.sys.sun] Newer PROM User's Manual?

bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/11/91)

I just received a copy of the PROM User's Manual, part #800-1736-10,
revision A of 9 May 1988, and its Addenda and Errata, same part number and
revision but dated 24 April 1989.  The newest SPARC machine listed is the
4/330.  It contains no information about the SPARCstation ROMs and all the
nifty printenv/setenv stuff.  Sun's very helpful (no sarcasm:  Desiree
really is as helpful as she can be) Telemarketing folks tell me that this
is indeed the latest released version, and of course they don't have any
knowledge of anything newer until it's actually released and made
available on their inventory computers.

So, official channels having failed me, I turn to the net...

Is anyone privy to a more recent revision, that they're able to share with
me?  Should I buy the SBus Developer's Kit-II (SBUS-DEV-KIT-II) just to
get the Open Boot PROM Toolkit User's Guide and SPARC Open PROM Toolkit
Reference Card?  Would these newer docs tell me the same stuff as has
historically been included in the PROM User's Manual?

hucaby@ms.uky.edu (Dave Hucaby) (01/13/91)

In article <1173@brchh104.bnr.ca> bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

> Should I buy the SBus Developer's Kit-II (SBUS-DEV-KIT-II) just to
>get the Open Boot PROM Toolkit User's Guide and SPARC Open PROM Toolkit
>Reference Card?  Would these newer docs tell me the same stuff as has
>historically been included in the PROM User's Manual?

I'm glad to know where the PROM Toolkit User's Guide can be found! I just
got a new SparcStation with 4.1 and have turned my office upside-down
looking for this book. The SunOS 4.1 Installation binder says to see this
book for information about using the 'n' (new command) option at the boot
prompt.  Looks like this would be info of general interest to all
SparcStation owners, since the PROM interface sets up the boot device,
etc.

gene@zeno.mn.org (Gene H. Olson) (01/16/91)

bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

>Is anyone privy to a more recent revision, that they're able to share with
>me?  Should I buy the SBus Developer's Kit-II (SBUS-DEV-KIT-II) just to
>get the Open Boot PROM Toolkit User's Guide and SPARC Open PROM Toolkit
>Reference Card?  Would these newer docs tell me the same stuff as has
>historically been included in the PROM User's Manual?

This is an excellent package available from (as I remember) Hamilton
Avenet and other for about $85.  It includes 4 spiral bound manuals, and
some duplicated stuff.   You get:

	Writing FCode Programs for SBus Cards
	SCSI Implementation Guide
	Sun Common SCSI Architecture
	Open Boot PROM Toolkit User's Guide
	SBus Specification A.2
	Writing SBus Device Drivers

Plus:
	Sun Developer's Kit Discette

This is a tremendous bargain, and you should take advantage of it.

           Gene H. Olson             gene@zeno.mn.org
                                 gene@digibd.com