[comp.sys.sun] SunOS 4.1

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (11/23/89)

Anyone have a sort-of, maybe, kinda, ballpark idea when SunOS 4.1
might hit the streets?

	...ken seefried iii	...!<anywhere>!gatech!mm!ken
	   MetaMedia, Inc.
	   mm!ken@gatech.edu

trichard@orion.cair.du.edu.UUCP (Thomas Richardson) (12/05/89)

In article <3329@brazos.Rice.edu> mm!ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

|Anyone have a sort-of, maybe, kinda, ballpark idea when SunOS 4.1
|might hit the streets?

A support person at Sun said it was just going into a Beta phase.  He
estimated that it would be another 3 months or so.

Thomas Richardson

aksegu@uts.amdahl.com (Ashok Kumar A. Segu) (12/21/89)

In article <3725@brazos.Rice.edu>, trichard@orion.cair.du.edu.UUCP (Thomas Richardson) writes:
> In article <3329@brazos.Rice.edu> mm!ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> |
> |Anyone have a sort-of, maybe, kinda, ballpark idea when SunOS 4.1
> |might hit the streets?
>
> A support person at Sun said it was just going into a Beta phase.  He
> estimated that it would be another 3 months or so.
>
> Thomas Richardson

According to UNIX TODAY (12/11/89) Sun might introduced SunOS 4.1 at
UniForum, but its availability might not be until the spring.

Here are some of SunOS 4.1 release plan's highlights:-

o  It is to be fully compatible with POSIX 1003.1, FIPS 151-1, X/Open's
   XPG2 and most of X/Open's XPG3 and SVID Issue 2.

o  The number of file descriptors has increased to 256 from 64, with a Sun
   promise of "even more in the next release."

o  The introduction of an adaptive NFS retransmission which, among other
   things, allows the system to distinguish between a network that is slow
   from one that is down.

o  SunOS's internal version has been eliminated, with one version now to
   be used throughout the world.

o  SunOS 4.1 has eliminated the "forced write" semantic, thus allowing
   files with short lifetimes to remain in memory.

-Ashok Segu
 aksegu@uts.amdahl.com
 ....!uts.amdahl.com!aksegu

fields@cs.utexas.edu (Daniel A. Fields) (01/17/91)

In reading the release notes for SunOS 4.1, they mention that the kernel
will cause a "system crash" if the size is greater than 1441792 bytes.
They mention that this is the case for "sun3".  Has anyone excperienced
this problem.  Also has any one seen this problem on a sun4c
(Sparcstation).  We are experiencing kernel crashes and was wondering if
this could be a possible cause.

Thanks