[comp.sys.sun] eeprom command on Sparcs

torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda D31 5503) (01/10/91)

Does /usr/bin/eeprom work on other peoples Sparc's?

On a 4/65 with OS 4.1, (eeprom rev 1.3) mine says
    eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0
On a 4/490 server, it says,
    eeprom: software area checksum wrong

Furthermore, the manual entry lists eeprom variables which are not even
really in the eeprom, e.g. memsize.

Looking inside /usr/bin/eeprom with strings shows a bunch of strings which
correspond to those in the manual entry, not those of the actual eeprom.

Finally, it seems that the eeprom could also live in
  /dev/openprom
but
  eeprom -f /dev/openprom
says
  eeprom: /dev/openprom: No such device

Does this command work for anyone else ?
Thanks.
-Andrew Torda

danq@uunet.uu.net (Daniel Quinlan) (01/11/91)

torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda D31 5503) writes:

>Does /usr/bin/eeprom work on other peoples Sparc's?

>On a 4/65 with OS 4.1, (eeprom rev 1.3) mine says
>    eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0
>On a 4/490 server, it says,
>    eeprom: software area checksum wrong

If you use eeprom -i, it ignores the "checksum error" and does what you
tell it, at least on our 490's.  (The first problem may have something to
do with /usr/kvm).  I called Sun about this -- they know there's an error
in the prom, but they have no fixes or plans for fixes (that they're
willing to announce.)

Daniel Quinlan			{uunet,boulder}!chs!danq
System Administrator 		303/442-1111 x3124
Consumer Health Services	Boulder, CO

dav@genisco.gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) (01/15/91)

In comp.sys.sun you write:

>Does /usr/bin/eeprom work on other peoples Sparc's?

Yes.

>On a 4/65 with OS 4.1, (eeprom rev 1.3) mine says
>    eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0

Never seen this.  Is this info accurate?  (Especially the major/minor
device number.)

	# ls -l /dev/eeprom
	crw-r--r--  1 root     staff      3,  11 Jan 10 13:20 /dev/eeprom

>On a 4/490 server, it says,
>    eeprom: software area checksum wrong

RTFM!  Try eeprom -i (which ignores the checksum), or even better eeprom
-i -c (which fixes it).

>Looking inside /usr/bin/eeprom with strings shows a bunch of strings which
>correspond to those in the manual entry, not those of the actual eeprom.

Don't know about this, but if you are dealing with openprom machines, try
(from the PROM monitor in new mode):

	ok printenv

>Finally, it seems that the eeprom could also live in
>  /dev/openprom
>but
>  eeprom -f /dev/openprom
>says
>  eeprom: /dev/openprom: No such device

Where did you get this idea?

[[Ed's Note: This is true for Sparcstations - other architectures will return
the "No such device" error (even those which have the /dev/openprom device
[looked at a 4.1 Sun 3/60]. Check your eeprom man page for more info. -bdg]]

	David L. Markowitz
	Genisco Technology Corporation
	dav@gtc.com

torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda D31 5503) (01/15/91)

>>On a 4/65 with OS 4.1, (eeprom rev 1.3) mine says
>>    eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0
>  Never seen this.  Is this info accurate?  (Especially the major/minor
>  device number.)

Yes, it is accurate. It is pasted from another window.

>>On a 4/490 server, it says,
>>    eeprom: software area checksum wrong
>  RTFM!  Try eeprom -i (which ignores the checksum), or even better
>  eeprom -i -c (which fixes it).

Thank for your considerate advice. I know that -i allows it to ignore
checksum errors. I did read the manual; however, the point is that one has
a command which does not work on 10 diskless Sparcs and gives a checksum
error on the server.

>  Don't know about this, but if you are dealing with openprom machines,
>  try (from the PROM monitor in new mode):
>
>	   ok printenv

Obviously. The point is that you should not need to take a machine down to
the prom level to look at prom contents.

>>Finally, it seems that the eeprom could also live in
>>  /dev/openprom
>>but
>>  eeprom -f /dev/openprom
>>says
>>  eeprom: /dev/openprom: No such device
>  Where did you get this idea?

Dear me. I think you should RTFM. The following lines are from the manual
entry. Look also at second last paragraph.

FILES
     /dev/eeprom

FILES - SPARCstation 1 SYSTEMS
     /dev/openprom

Some last remarks. I actually think it is worth posting a summary, but let
me give you a preview.  It (/usr/bin/eeprom) works on machines from about
75% of people who sent messages. Not enough people sent ROM revisions to
be able to check if there is any correlation between eeprom working and
the ROM revision.  Of those people possessing a functional eeprom, the
command worked with no arguments and worked when invoked as 'eeprom -f
/dev/openprom'. The command does not work on about a quarter of machines
from people who mailed. Some of those people had taken the same steps as
me and checked minor and major device numbers.

Andrew Torda, ETH, Zurich

zliu@hobbes.Berkeley.EDU (Zhishun Alex Liu) (01/18/91)

> eeprom: /dev/eeprom: Error 0
> eeprom -f /dev/openprom
>says
> eeprom: /dev/openprom: No such device

I can reproduce all the above error messages if I invoke the sun4 version
of eeprom (i.e. /export/exec/kvm/sun4.sunos.4.1/eeprom) on my SS1+.

The sun4c version of eeprom worked fine for us all along.  We got a few
dozen SS1/SS1+'s with ROM revisions 1.2/1.3 all running SunOS 4.1.  BTW,
the checksum for the sun4c version of eeprom is 25073 while the sun4
version of eeprom, 09014.