[comp.sys.sun] Using Kermit on Sun Systems

SDF100S@oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) (01/03/91)

I have UNIX KERMIT installed on our SparcStation 1+ running 4.1 SunOS. We
are a University and must dial 9 to get an outside line. Everytime I use
kermit and try to dial out through the modem, the operator tells me I need
to hang up and try again. This is only when I use the 9 to dial outside of
campus. I can dial on campus lines with no problem. It seems like
everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing instead of touch tone. I
thought there might be a set argument to set this to touch tone but there
is nothing listed in the documentation for this. Has anyone experienced
this?? Do you know what I am doing wrong? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!!   THANK YOU.

[[Ed's Note: Make sure you have a delay between dialing 9 and your outside
number to give your phone system time to aquire an outside line before
your modem continues dialing. (ie: if you want to call 555-1212, you'd use
the number 9,5551212 [the , is the Hayes standard pause while dialing
character]). It would also probably be good if you could turn on your
modem's speaker while dialing so you can hear what's going on. I've never
heard of a modem spontaneously changing from tone to pulse dialing. -bdg]]

Sheila Foster
Programmer/Analyst
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
sdf100s@oduvm.cc.odu.edu
   or
admin@dumbo.mem.odu.edu

hooverm@sysjj.mdcbbs.com (01/08/91)

In article <1045@brchh104.bnr.ca>, SDF100S@oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) writes:

> Stuff about KERMIT deleted

> [[Ed's Note: Make sure you have a delay between dialing 9 and your outside
> number to give your phone system time to aquire an outside line before
> your modem continues dialing. (ie: if you want to call 555-1212, you'd use
> the number 9,5551212 [the , is the Hayes standard pause while dialing
> character]). It would also probably be good if you could turn on your
> modem's speaker while dialing so you can hear what's going on. I've never
> heard of a modem spontaneously changing from tone to pulse dialing. -bdg]]

If there is a second dial tone after dialing the "9", you might try adding a
"wait" after the "9" (9w555-1212).  This will cause KERMIT to wait for the
second dial tone.

			Mark  <o===6

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (01/09/91)

DF100S@oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) writes:

> ... We are a University and must dial 9 to get an outside line.  Everytime I
> use kermit and try to dial out through the modem, the operator tells me I
> need to hang up and try again. ...  I can dial on campus lines with no
> problem.  It seems like everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing
> instead of touch tone.

And the Editor notes:

> Make sure you have a delay between dialing 9 and your outside number to give
> your phone system time to aquire an outside line before your modem continues
> dialing. ... I've never heard of a modem spontaneously changing from tone to
> pulse dialing.

If adding a pause after the 9 isn't enough, it's possible that you are on
a PBX which understands tone, but which has outside lines that only accept
rotary pulse dialing (only a University would be chintzy enough to do
something stupid like this).  In that case, you should try dialing the
whole number with rotary pulse (use ATP to set this).  If your PBX doesn't
understand rotary pulse dialing, your University telecom administrator
deserves to be shot, but unfortunately you will probably be the one to
suffer the consequences.

Be thankful you don't have an extravagant telecom administrator (like we
did) - you could be stuck with ROLM instead (ack pthffthp! :-).

inet: dupuy@cs.columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!dupuy

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (01/10/91)

hooverm@sysjj.mdcbbs.com writes:

> If there is a second dial tone after dialing the "9", you might try adding a
> "wait" after the "9" (9w555-1212).  This will cause KERMIT to wait for the
> second dial tone.

Both this posting and the original seem to be confusing what the modem is
doing and what the modem is doing.

Kermit does not have any information about how to dial. Inserting a "w"
does not make kermit do anything but send a "w" to the modem. The modem
may choose to wait. Not all Hayes modems do this.

>From: SDF100S@oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster) <1045@brchh104.bnr.ca>:

>  ... I need
> to hang up and try again. This is only when I use the 9 to dial outside of
> campus. I can dial on campus lines with no problem. It seems like
> everytime it dials 9 it changes to rotary dialing instead of touch tone.

This last sentence is confusing. What is changing to rotary dialing?  Do
you mean the modem is sending pulses instead of tone, when it started
sending tone? If this is true, then you are sending the modem a "P"
command in the dialing string.

Or do you mean, as I think you mean, that the phone line no longer accepts
tone dialing but will take pulse? This is not unusual. The campus may have
its own phone system that accepts tone, but may buy non-tone lines from
the local telephone company. They are cheaper. When you dial 9, the campus
system hooks you directly to the outside line and goes off to do something
else. You must provide what the outside line wants.

The simple test of this is to use the phone connected to that line to dial
off-campus. If you can dial entirely in tone, then something else is
wrong.

In Hayes commands, something like: "ATDT 9, P555-1212" (Attention!  Dial
in tones 9. Pause one second. Switch to pulse and dial 555-1212.) will
solve the problem.

> thought there might be a set argument to set this to touch tone but there
> is nothing listed in the documentation for this.

Nope. Kermit knows nothing about how the modem works. This is a good
thing. The whole world is not Hayes. Some of it is DEC, and DEC scholar
modems have about the most non-intuitive command set of any. So, you
cannot tell Kermit (using a set command) how to dial. When you dial, you
speak straight to the modem, and you need to use the modem docs for that.

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/18/91)

There are some modems that will try to automatically determine whether to
use tone or pulse dialing.  They will send out the first digit as a tone,
then wait to see what happens.  If the first digit doesn't immediately
cause the dial tone to cease, the modem will assume that pulse dialing is
needed and redial the whole thing using pulses.

My diagnosis is that your dial string does not include either "T" or "P"
to tell the modem whether to use tone or pulse dialing, so it is using its
auto-determination method described above.  When the number is internal
the dial tone ceases after the first digit and the modem continues with
tone dialing.  But when the number is external, the initial "9" gives you
another dial tone so that you can now dial an external number.  The modem
notices that the dial tone is still there and switches to pulse mode and
tries again.

The solution is to use an explicit "T" in the dial command.  Thus instead
of saying "ATD9-408-123-4567" you need to do "ATDT9-408-123-4567".

How you should tell your Kermit to do this is another question.  Some
programs, like many implementations of Kermit, hard-code modem-dialing
instructions and make it impossible to change them without changing the
source code.  If this is the case with the program you are using you may
be in trouble.

History never         |   Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
becomes obsolete.     |   UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi