[comp.sys.sun] Xfig problems under OpenWindows

andys@mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk (andrew simmons) (01/16/91)

My group has migrated to OpenWindows in the last couple of months and
after using fig heavily under Sunview, compiled Xfig and tried to run it
under OpenWindows 2.0 on Sun3s, Sun4s and SparcStations.

I have run into a problem, which according to the author is an OpenWindows
problem - Xfig apparently works fine on other machines.

	The problem is that Xfig can respond in three ways

(1) The xfig window appears and then the program exits. e.g.

> hyperion% xfig.sun4
> Initializing FIG v2.0 Protocol v2.0 (X11 patchlevel 9) ...
> X Error:  BadMatch
>   Request Major code 62 ()
>   Request Minor code 206
>   ResourceID 0x1400062
>   Error Serial #1625
>   Current Serial #1726

(2) The xfig window appears and gives the 'READY' message. I then choose
    fonts and the program crashes. However the program seems to work O.K.
    unless I choose the fonts button.

(3) The program works properly.

The author informs me that several people have reported at least the first
of these responses, which is an OpenWindows problem. Unfortunately he does
not have access to OpenWindows. Has anyone encountered this problem and
managed to fix it ?

Please reply by e-mail to me and I'll summarise to the net if there is
sufficient interest.

Thanks for any help,
                     Andy Simmons

JANET    : andys@uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph             Medical Physics, Shropshire House
INTERNET : andys@.mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk                University   College   London
BITNET   : andys%uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph@ukacrl.bitnet      Gower St,  WC1E 6JA,  U.K.

daven@ruhig.llnl.gov (David O. Nelson) (01/19/91)

In article <1273@brchh104.bnr.ca> Andy Simmons writes:
|> My group has migrated to OpenWindows in the last couple of months and
|> after using fig heavily under Sunview, compiled Xfig and tried to run it
|> under OpenWindows 2.0 on Sun3s, Sun4s and SparcStations.

	[problems with Xfig omitted]

I, too, had these problems, but only when my server was a COLOR server.
My guess is that you are only having problems on color servers as well.  I
traced the problem to some X_CopyArea calls from within a label display
widget from within the menu widget.  This seems to occur randomly.  Brian
insists that widgets should handle the translation from one-bit bitmaps to
whatever is needed automatically.  However, it doesn't happen for me.

My solution was to go and patch the code to create pixmaps from the bitmap
icons showing fonts.  Everything now works fine.

David O. Nelson
(daven@gauss.llnl.gov)