[comp.sys.sun] File permissions under SunOS 4.1.1

brucek@uunet.uu.net (Bruce Klein) (01/26/91)

While running cops on a newly installed Sparcstation SLC, I noticed the
following files were shipped as world writable:

/etc/aliases.dir
/etc/aliases.pag
/etc/mtab
/etc/remote
/etc/sm
/etc/sm.bak
/etc/state
/etc/utmp

Is there a good reason for any of these files to be world writable, or can
I restrict access?  Thanks for your help.

[[Ed's Note: I don't see any problems restricting access access (at least
to only group and owner writable). Sun is notorious for the "secure"
network mode of shipping Suns. You might want to check your
/etc/hosts.equiv file while you're at it. :) -bdg]]

Bruce Klein
brucek@emperor.scs.com
...uunet!emperor!brucek
(408) 371 2900

perl%step@uunet.uu.net (Robert Perlberg) (02/19/91)

In article <1501@brchh104.bnr.ca>, emperor!unicorn!brucek@uunet.uu.net (Bruce Klein) writes:
> Is there a good reason for any of these files to be world writable, or can
> I restrict access?

/etc/utmp must be world writable since shelltool creates entries there.
This is an acknowledged problem.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
{murphy | philabs | chuo}!step!perl

brendan@ai.mit.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (03/16/91)

>/etc/utmp must be world writable since shelltool creates entries there.
>This is an acknowledged problem.

I've used two different fixes at different times for this .. as long as
you start a window that grabs the console (e.g. shelltool -C or cmdtool
-C) as the very first thing that comes up, the messages "Make sure you can
write to /etc/utmp!" get swallowed in there. The other option is to edit
/usr/lib/libsun*.s{o,a}.* [I forget which, two of them have it], and
replace the pathname /etc/utmp with /dev/null.  That'll make it shut up.

Note that with your windows not appearing in utmp, talk and a few other
things won't work.

But I think it's a fair tradeoff for someone being able to be on your
system without you knowing, don't you?

     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
       On hiatus at brendan@albert.ai.mit.edu whilst our router is down.