[comp.sys.sun] Printing selected text from OpenWindows ?

JOEY%UTCVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Joey Maxie) (03/20/91)

Can anyone tell me how to print selected text from a window in OpenWindows
?  In sunview you could select the text from a window that you wanted and
through the print services option print the selected text.  With
OpenWindows I can not find this capability, the closet I have come to is
taking a snapshot and this takes entirely to long and is to cumbersome.

If it matters we are running SunOS 4.1.1 with OpenWindows Ver. 2 .  Thanks
in advance for any assistance.

ileung@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Ivan S Leung) (03/24/91)

In article <1975@brchh104.bnr.ca> JOEY%UTCVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Joey Maxie) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to print selected text from a window in OpenWindows
>?  In sunview you could select the text from a window that you wanted and
>through the print services option print the selected text.  With
>OpenWindows I can not find this capability, the closet I have come to is
>taking a snapshot and this takes entirely to long and is to cumbersome.
>
>If it matters we are running SunOS 4.1.1 with OpenWindows Ver. 2 .  Thanks
>in advance for any assistance.

A not so elegant solution:
   Use the mouse to highlight the text you want to print.
   Hit the COPY key.
   Go to a shelltool and type lpr.
   Hit the PASTE key.
   Hit ctrl-D RETURN.

Ivan Leung                       INTERNET: ileung@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu
Facsimile Marketing, Inc.        VOICE: 203-323-4400
3 Landmark Square, Suite 403     FAX: 203-323-4368

knutson%SW.MCC.COM@mcc.com (Jim Knutson) (03/24/91)

Try selecting the text and typing in another window:

	get_selection | lpr

Or better yet, add it to your menu.  In general, you can see what
Sunview's default menu does for each menu item by looking at
/usr/lib/.rootmenu.

Jim Knutson
knutson@mcc.com
cs.utexas.edu!milano!knutson