[comp.sys.sun] SunOS 4.1.1 and sync scsi

mea@sparta.com (Mike Anderson) (12/30/90)

We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
seeing some bizarre behavior when we try to install it.  First, 4.1.1 now
can perform synchronous SCSI transfers (4.16 MB/s !) to disks, and I think
that is where we are getting into trouble.  We are using 1.2 GB Fujitsu
2263S/H SCSI drives and CDC Wren IVs.  When the Miniroot comes up, it
correctly identifies these disks and says that it will talk to them in
synchronous mode.  I can install the miniroot on sd(0,0,1) (the Fuji swap
partition) and everything seems to go just fine (I install from 150MB
Cartridge tape).  When it then tries to reboot the just installed
miniroot, it craps out with either "Invalid instruction" or "Level 15
interrupt".  The Fuji drive has a jumper that enables synchronous
transfers and the jumper was installed when I got these messages.  I have
also tried it with SCSI 2 enabled on the drive, but to no avail.

When I tried to install 4.1.1 without the Sync transfer jumper installed,
the install seemed to go O.K., but I started getting all kinds of READ
errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
jumper).  I've also tried reformatting the drive in the various
configurations (no sync jumper; sync jumper; sync jumper and SCSI 2; etc.)
and still no luck.  Has anyone seen this problem?  Any clues as to how I
can get around it?  The faster SCSI transfer speed sure would be nice if
it works.  Otherwise, is there a way to install 4.1.1 but turn off the
SCSI synchronous transfers in the Kernel?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'll summarize to the net.

Mike Anderson
mea@sparta.com
(703) 448-0210

rick@olivea.olivetti.com (Rick Meneely) (01/15/91)

From article <976@brchh104.bnr.ca>, by mea@sparta.com (Mike Anderson):
> We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
> seeing some bizarre behavior when we try to install it.

> When it then tries to reboot the just installed
> miniroot, it craps out with either "Invalid instruction" or "Level 15
> interrupt".

> [...] but I started getting all kinds of READ
> errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
> jumper).

> Has anyone seen this problem?

I installed 4.1.1 on a 3/60 several days ago and all worked fine...however
today (while reading this newsgroup) I was also attempting to install
SunOS 4.1.1 on a Sparc 1+ and I encounted precisely these same problems!!!
I am installing it on a Maxtor XT-8760S drive which is different than Mike
Anderson was using - so I presume (guess) that is not specific to this
make of hard disk.  Any answers or suggestions would be very appreciated.

| Rick Meneely                       | Internet: rick@olivee.ATC.Olivetti.Com|

wolfgang@uunet.uu.net (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (01/18/91)

rick@olivea.olivetti.com (Rick Meneely) writes:
>[ I installed ] SunOS 4.1.1 on a Sparc 1+ and I encounted precisely
>these same problems!!!  I am installing it on a Maxtor XT-8760S drive
>which is different than Mike Anderson was using - so I presume
>(guess) that is not specific to this

I tried installing 4.1.1 on a CDC/Imprimis/Seagate Wren VI 94191-766.
Same problems.  Random hangs and illegal instructions.

I installed 4.1.1 by hand after untaring the tape files by hand, and
building a 4.1.1 kernel from the *.o's.  The resultant kernel hung just
after the device probe printf's.  Turning the SYNC SCSI option off in the
kernel didn't help.

Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

jamison@ccncsu.colostate.edu (Jamie Gulden) (01/22/91)

In article <1232@brchh104.bnr.ca> rick@olivea.olivetti.com (Rick Meneely) writes:
>From article <976@brchh104.bnr.ca>, by mea@sparta.com (Mike Anderson):
>> We just got a copy of SunOS 4.1.1 here for our SparcStation 1+ and we are
>
>> [...] but I started getting all kinds of READ
>> errors from various blocks on the disk (that is when I tried the sync
>> jumper).
>
>> Has anyone seen this problem?

We have just spent a week with the disk error problem and (no thanks to
Sun) have found our problem to be in the SCSI interface.  Depending on the
length of the cables, the particular terminater used, and how many devices
are on the bus will affect the success or failure.  We originally got our
system running by removing one of the devices (leaving 2) from the bus.
National Peripherals suggested shorter cables even though we were below
the 6 meter limit and this worked and allowed us to put the third device
back on the machine.  Suns only suggestion was to remove the terminator.

bkc2@midway.uchicago.edu (Benjamin Clardy) (04/17/91)

Our main computing bottleneck seems to be disk speed.  Specifically, we
have SAS analyzing fairly large datasets, 5MB - 150MB, so sustained disk
throughput is very important.  I have tried to implement sync scsi under
4.1 changing the scsi_options in the kernel to 0x38 but I can not tell any
noticeable effect in speed.  In addition, if I set the jumpers on my
M2263SAs to 4.0MB/s max transfer rate (instead of 2.7MB/s) the drive fails
to function properly.

Do I need to go to SunOS 4.1.1 to take advantage of sync scsi?  What type
of throughput inccrease with sync scsi can I see on a SLC?

What other advantages does 4.1.1 have over 4.1?

FLAME ON

My internal Maxtor 207MB hard disk in my IPC just failed again for the
second time in 6 months.  This time the drive is not covered under Sun's
whole THREE month warranty.  They want $600 for a new one with a 30 day
lead time, $1080 for one with a 1 day lead time.  I said screw it, and
went out to Fast Access and picked up the Fujitsu that I already had on
order.  (This is not a commercial for Fast Access, but they did help me
out of a bind).  The Fujitsu was $1413 for 660MB, with a SIXTY month
warranty.

Why is Sun selling a drive with a MTBF (at least for me) of three months?
Ah, but perhaps that is why the warranty is only for three months.

I am buying all of my machines diskless from now on.
Long live my Fujitsus
FLAME OFF

Benjamin Clardy
bkc2@midway.uchicago.edu