[comp.sys.sun] Does getty not like names > 8 chars?

kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) (04/24/91)

We are experiencing login problems for user's whos login name is greater
than 8 characters. They can login under a different name and then su to
the correct name.

The hardware is a SparcStation 1+ running SunOS 4.1.

If there a login name length limitation that I overlooked? Is there a
workaround or a replacement for getty available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: kory@avatar.com

haberman@s1.msi.umn.edu (Joe Habermann) (04/29/91)

kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) writes:

>We are experiencing login problems for user's whos login name is greater
>than 8 characters. They can login under a different name and then su to
>the correct name.

Yes.  No program is to expected to support account names greater than 8
characters in length. Check man pages entries for passwd in section 5 for
more information.

Joe Habermann
haberman@msi.umn.edu