[comp.sys.sun] Info requested on: RDI/TriGem's Britelite portable.

frankk@cwi.nl (Frank Kuiper) (03/24/91)

In the Februari issue of "SunExpert" is an article "Let the Buyer beware".

On page 64 is a picture of the Britelite laptop from RDI/TriGem Corp.
On page 70 there is some more information.

This machine supposedly is an SunOS laptop, with MSDOS and Mac OS
emulations available.  The price of US$ 10,800 is not nothing for an 8-48
Mb main memory, 240Mb on board disk, 12.5 MIPS machine.

We are interested in this machine, specially because it offers both MSDOS
and Mac OS emulations.  Is there anyone who can tell me more about it?
Reliabillity, features/performance of the emulations?

I know the machine might not actually be for sale at this moment (the
article mentions the second quarter of 91), so I'm willing to take any
info people can offer me:  rumours, "supposedly"'s, everyhting.

I'll summarize what I receive.

[[Ed's Note: We are also interested in this - even though it's weak as far
as the processor speeds go, the possibility of having all three platforms
run in one box would make it a very nice machine. I have all the
information they would provide me and it looks somewhat interesting.
performance wise. MacOS is done through software emulation which probably
means it wouldn't be real racy in that mode. There isn't a whole lot of
information on the MSDOS emulation mode [:(]. Also, evidentally it is
RDI's corporate policy not to ship evaluation models, and it's our
corporate policy not to buy without evaluating which is a problem :( :(.
I'd also welcome any information from someone who has actually seen one of
these running. -bdg]]

Frank Kuiper                                       .                  ___
Internet: frankk@cwi.nl                                          _][__| |

mark@east.sunworld.com (Mark Cappel) (03/28/91)

In article <2117@brchh104.bnr.ca> frankk@cwi.nl (Frank Kuiper) writes:
<stuff deleted >
>This machine supposedly is an SunOS laptop, with MSDOS and Mac OS
>emulations available.  The price of US$ 10,800 is not nothing for an 8-48
>Mb main memory, 240Mb on board disk, 12.5 MIPS machine.
>
>We are interested in this machine, specially because it offers both MSDOS
>and Mac OS emulations.  Is there anyone who can tell me more about it?
>Reliabillity, features/performance of the emulations?

An editor at SunWorld has been promised a review unit, Real Soon Now. As
soon as we get our grubby mitts on one we will put it through SunWorld's
lab.

I actually touched one at Uniforum in Dallas this winter. In outward
dimensions and design, it looked much like the old Toshiba T3200 luggable
PC. The LCD screen is sharp, though seemed a bit sluggish as compared to a
conventional CRT. Most of the BriteLite's weight is due to the hard
drives. An optional battery pack, which might make a dandy club if you
frequent bad neighborhoods, adds even more weight.

The Macintosh emulator was running at the show. I saw a single Mac
application (I believe it was Excel or WingZ) run on the Britelite.
"Companion," as the emulator goes by, can access the floppy disk and can
read and write native Mac files. I dragged several files to and from the
floppy just as one would on a Mac. Companion bombed once while I was
closing the afformentioned spreadsheet, so not all of the bugs were out
two months ago.

I did not see the PC emulator in action.

The RDI people claim BriteLite uses an authentic SPARCstation IPC
motherboard. The Trigem look-alike uses a motherboard of Trigem's design.

This is not meant to be shameless plug (I do have *some* shame :-), but a
comprehensive review is planned for the BriteLite. In the meantime, I hope
these impressions from a tradeshow help.

Mark Cappel			80 Elm St.
Senior Editor			Peterborough, NH 03458
SunWorld (nee SunTech Journal)	voice (603) 924-0100
mark@east.sunworld.com		fax   (603) 924-9384

rodney@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Rodney Campbell) (03/28/91)

frankk@cwi.nl (Frank Kuiper) writes:

>In the Februari issue of "SunExpert" is an article "Let the Buyer beware".

>On page 64 is a picture of the Britelite laptop from RDI/TriGem Corp.

>This machine supposedly is an SunOS laptop, with MSDOS and Mac OS
>emulations available.  The price of US$ 10,800 is not nothing for an 8-48
>Mb main memory, 240Mb on board disk, 12.5 MIPS machine.

I have a few brochures here about this machine which seems to be an IPC
motherboard in a laptop case. Heres a bit of the blurb:

OS - SunOS4.1, SunView
Processor - IU-LSI RDIIU-25, 25MHz - FPU-RDIFPU-25, 25MHz
Performance - 15Mips, 1.6 MFLOPS, 10 Specmarks
Memory - 8-32 MB DRAM with parity, 60ns, 4 or 1 MB SIMMS
Media - Floppy: 3.5", autosensing 720K or 1.44MB, 16ms
      Hard: 120MB, 28ms, 1.6 MB/sec, SCSI-2
Display - Backlit, supertwist LCD, +/- 35 degree viewing angle, 1152x900
pixels
Keyboard - Sun4 compatible
I/O - Two SBus, Ethernet AUI, Two serial RS232 8pin mini DIN, SCSI-2,
External Video, Mouse 8 PIN DIN
Other - digitized sound through built in speaker
Dimensions - H 91mm, W 300mm, L 400mm, Weight 6.15KG (incl nicad battery)

There are two machines actually a 12 MIP version and a 15 MIP version
(funny that). Colour is supposed to be forthcoming and is available for
the 15 MIP version.

If anyone has one of these suckers and can comment on its usefulness I
would also like to know about it as we may be intereseted in getting some.
It seems disk space (120MEG) is the biggest problem as this is nowhere
near enough to be useful here.

Rodney Campbell	- Telecom Aust |MHSnet: rodney@solar.card.inpu.oz.au
Network Services Unit          |Snail : 8th Floor, 91 York Street, Sydney 2000.
Customer Applications Research |  or PO Box A226, Sydney South 2000, Australia.
        & Development          |Phone : +61 (0)2 364 3346   Fax: +61 2 262 3813

bauman@shell.com (E. G. Bauman) (05/10/91)

We just tried one out last Friday.  A local salesman brought one over to
our center, but would not loan it out to us for a few days (sigh).

As a Sun, it's pretty decent.  It ran Sunview and Openwindows.  It took a
bit getting used to the smaller screen.

The Mac emulation was astonishing to see.  I would never have anticipated
seeing Mac emulation on a Sun ever.  We loaded up the Mac with our own
benchmark.  Namely, letting the computer play itself at Strategic
Conquest.  It's about the same speed as a Mac SE.  The only problem we
could detect is that the sound doesn't work in the Mac window (makes SC
kind of dull to play).  An inconvenience is that the floppy only reads the
high density Mac floppies in the Mac window (1.4 MB?).  Trying a standard
800KB floppy in the Mac window was unsuccessful.  You can resize the Mac
window to a variety of sizes while in the Finder.  Some are bigger than
the screen.  The actual emulator window appears as a sunview window which
will work in Sunview and in Openwindows.

The Mac filesystem is contained in a single file, a la the C: file in DOS
Windows.  No accessing SunOS directories as Mac disks.  This can make
moving files around a little difficult.

Mouse tracking is marginal whether in the Mac emulator or just in
Openwindows.  You see mouse shadows follow the mouse arrow.  Getting the
mouse to cross the boundaries of the Mac emulator window was sometimes
difficult.

Didn't try out the PC emulation.  I just assumed it was SoftPC.

What we're really interested in is RDI's Mac emulation for desktop sparcs.
We've been told about the product, but the salesman told us that it was
still unavailable.

The salesman told me these machines were being purchased at an oil company
in Houston (not Shell) where it is very difficult to get Macs, but easy to
buy Suns, for their Mac emulator alone.  A $12,000 Mac SE...  Makes one
wonder about the sense behind corporate strategies sometimes.

	Evan G. Bauman - Combustion/Reaction Engineering
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman@shell.com  (713)-493-8937