[comp.sys.sun] accton

henkel@matple.ncsu.edu (Chuck Henkel) (04/21/89)

Context: Sun 386i 150X running SunOS v4.0.1

Problem: Accton(8) fails

I am having problems getting the accounting cluster to work on my Sun
386i. Here's what I did (as superuser):

	# cd /var/adm
	# cat > acct
	^D
	# ls -l acct
	-rw-rw-r--  1 root            0 Mar 19 13:00 acct
	# /usr/etc/accton /var/adm/acct
	accton: Invalid argument

I tried any number of variations on the argument to accton; even omitting
it altogether (and forcing the default) fails with the same message.

Note:
      - The /usr/include/sys/acct.h file is there.
      - /usr/etc/sa "works" to the extent that it can without
        a file to operate on.

Reply to me at henkel%matple@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

-C Henkel

det@hawkmoon.mn.org (Derek E. Terveer) (05/05/89)

In article <8903191822.AA00789@matple.ncsu.edu>, henkel@matple.ncsu.edu (Chuck Henkel) writes:
> Context: Sun 386i 150X running SunOS v4.0.1
>
> Problem: Accton(8) fails
>
> I am having problems getting the accounting cluster to work on my Sun
> 386i. Here's what I did (as superuser):
>
> 	# cd /var/adm
> 	# cat > acct
> 	^D

Its easier to just do a ">acct" (in sh/ksh) -- just being picky (:-)

> 	# ls -l acct
> 	-rw-rw-r--  1 root            0 Mar 19 13:00 acct
> 	# /usr/etc/accton /var/adm/acct
> 	accton: Invalid argument

This rather cryptic error, i believe, indicates that accounting has not been
compiled into the kernel.  Look in your /usr/sys/conf/x file for a line of the
form:

	options		SYSACCT

If this line is not present, you don't have accounting enabled.  Sun ships
their OS with accounting disabled by default.
Add this line and then remake the kernel.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

jimj@convex.csd.uwm.edu (James A Jegers) (06/05/91)

  I am tring to enable the accounting on our
  sun system.
  I've looked at the accton source and it calles
  the acct() proc with the filename..
  When I run accton, it comes back with an
  error, invald argument..(errorno 22).  I've checked and
  it is comming from the system call
  to acct.. I've tried looking in the kern_acct and in
  libp_c.a and i've found some of the acct() calls
  but I'm confused as what to do next to correct
  the problem..  We need accounting running here!.

  Thanks...

--
		   University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
          Computing Services Division           Computer Science Department