[comp.sys.sun] PARITY's Sun Sparc IPC laptop

caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) (05/10/91)

I received in the mail today the following information. I knew that only
RDI and TriGem were selling this laptop, although with different names.
In particular this laptop is available also with a color display and an
additional internal disk drive.  If somebody has more hands-on info, it
would be appreciated.

PARITY presents the ...

                             Sun SPARCstation IPC Laptop

The Parity Britelite(TM) battery-powered workstation is not a SPARC clone
---it features a SPARCstation IPC motherboard manufactured by Sun
Microsystems, Inc. This lightweight laptop provides all of the power of a
high performance Sun UNIX SPARCstation, MS DOS, and Apple Computer
Macintosh in a compact package that weight 13.5 pounds, including a
high-resolution backlit LCD display. A video output port allows an
external display.

The proprietary low-power, chip-on-glass LCD display is available in
various monochrome and color resolutions. An internal five Amp-hour NiCad
battery provides up to two hours of continous use, or six hours in standby
mode. The battery charger/adapter recharges a fully discharged battery in
3 hours with the laptop off, or in 12 hours with the laptop in use. An
automatic low-battery shutdown saves the contents of memory. A separate
battery powers the time of the day clock/calendar.

      SPECIFICATIONS                        OPTIONS

SPARC RISC processor                   1152(h)x900(v) mono display
25-Mhz SPARC, IEEE 764 FPU             640(h)x480(v) color display
64 KB cache                            1024(h)x768(v) color display
11.8 SPECmarks (15.8 MIPS)             1152(h)x900(v) color display
10 Mb/sec Ethernet interface           12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 36, 48 MB memory
SCSI-2 interface                       2nd 120 MB hard disk drive
2 Serial I/O ports (async)             200 MB hard disk drive
8 Khz audio w/speaker                  Fax/modem Sbus board
2 Sbus slots                           3-button optical mouse
8 MB main memory                       External Sbus slots
120 MB hard disk (formatted)           GLOVEBOX(TM) storage subsystems
1.44 MB UNIX/DOS/MAC floppy                CDROM
NiCad battery/adapter                      4 mm DAT
Battery charger/adapter                    8 mm Exabyte
640(h)x480(v) mono display                 1/4" Tape
3-button mechanical mouse                  Optical Disk
Sun-4 compatible keybord                   Winchester Disk
   (103 key, 40 function)              Macintosh Emulation
Sun OS 4.1.1 pre-loaded                MS DOS Emulation

PARITY SYSTEMS INC. 504A Vandell Way, Campbell, CA 95008
Tel (408)378-1000, Fax (408)378-1022

tep%tots.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Tom Perrine) (06/05/91)

In article <2833@brchh104.bnr.ca> caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) writes:

>I received in the mail today the following information. I knew that only
>RDI and TriGem were selling this laptop, although with different names.
>In particular this laptop is available also with a color display and an
>additional internal disk drive.  If somebody has more hands-on info, it
>would be appreciated.

>PARITY presents the ...
>
>                             Sun SPARCstation IPC Laptop
>
>The Parity Britelite(TM) battery-powered workstation is not a SPARC clone
>---it features a SPARCstation IPC motherboard manufactured by Sun
>Microsystems, Inc. This lightweight laptop provides all of the power of a

What Parity doesn't tell you is that they are just reselling the
RDI/TriGem Britelite machine.

RDI is the U.S. subsidiary? of TriGem, a Korean company. The Britelite
is assembled about 1 mile from where I type.

I have seen this box, and it *is* neat. They are currently shipping a
640x480 display, the higher-res mono is available for about $700 more,
and nobody can afford the color display technology yet.

I hefted this beast and is is fairly substantial. The guy I talked to
has been lugging it (and using it) on an airplane. He says the major
problem is that the machine takes up almost the whole tray table,
leaving no room for the mouse. They are working on a mini-trackball
that attaches to the side of the keyboard.

It fits easily under an airline seat, and the case it comes in has
LOTS of extra room, for multiple extra battery packs, clothes for a
three day trip :-) , etc.

If I had $10,800 (list), I would consider it.

You can also buy Britelite from Andataco, which is at (619)453-9191.
Ask for Brian Crouch. I have dealt with him/them before and been
completely satisfied.

Tell him I sent you, maybe he'll give *me* a Britelite, for the
referral :-)

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon - T&TSD                         | UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
P.O. Box 85158                          |GENIE: T.PERRINE
San Diego CA 92138                      |Voice: +1 619 455 1330
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |  FAX: +1 619 552 0729