[net.news.group] Obnoxious USENET Advertiser

ins_ajsk@jhunix.UUCP (Jonathan Simon Kay) (11/16/85)

Look what *I* found on net.general:

From aplcen!aplvax!umcp-cs!seismo!lll-crg!qantel!ihnp4!mhuxn!mhuxr!mhuxt!houxm!vax135!petsd!joe Wed Nov 13 15:50:51 1985
From: joe@petsd.UUCP (Joe Orost)
Newsgroups: net.general,net.rumor
Subject: Perkin-Elmer DSG is now CONCURRENT Computer Co.
Date: 13 Nov 85 20:50:51 GMT

<>
					Concurrent Computer
					Corporation

					15 Main Street
					Homdel, NJ 07733
					(201) 946-8883

				November 13, 1985

The purpose of this letter is to introduce you to CONCURRENT Computer
Corporation.

In the past, you've known us as the Data Systems Group of The Perkin-Elmer
Corporation, a leader in the 32-bit superminicomputer field.  A company you
could depend upon for state-of-the-art technology and unexcelled system
reliability... backed up by a worldwide service network of more than 1000
hardware and software support engineers.

As Perkin-Elmer, we offered the widest range of compatible systems - from
supermicros to the world's fastest and most powerful superminicomputers.
Perkin-Elmer, developer of the world's first 32-bit superminicomputer in
1974, is currently at the forefront of parallel processing technology.

Now that we have become the CONCURRENT Computer Corporation, you can expect
a continuation of this fine tradition.  As a "one-business company," we are
dedicating ourselves to focusing our resources and efforts toward your
present and future computing needs.

For additional information about CONCURRENT, please call us directly or
contact your local sales office.

				Sincerely,
				James K. Sims
				President And CEO
				CONCURRENT Computer Corporation

While we have been busy condemning everybody else for such vile practices
as posting shareware, flaming, and non-optimization of mail paths, someone
has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt the most
flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short tenure as a
USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.  Well, what
shall we do?  I have already sent him some interesting reading (I restricted
myself from sending as much as I would have like to send, in the name of
keeping the associated phone bill below $1000 :-)... ).  This is, according
to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant cutting CONCURRENT's news
feed.  Any comments?

                                                  Jonathan Kay

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (11/19/85)

In article <1212@jhunix.UUCP> you write:
>Look what *I* found on net.general:

>From: joe@petsd.UUCP (Joe Orost)
>Subject: Perkin-Elmer DSG is now CONCURRENT Computer Co.
>Date: 13 Nov 85 20:50:51 GMT
>
>	(Copy of letter from company CEO announcing spinoff of Perkin-Elmer
>	  Data Systems as CONCURRENT Computer Corp.)
>
>				Sincerely,
>				James K. Sims
>				President And CEO
>				CONCURRENT Computer Corporation
>
>While we have been busy condemning everybody else for such vile practices
>as posting shareware, flaming, and non-optimization of mail paths, someone
>has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt the most
>flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short tenure as a
>USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.  Well, what
>shall we do?  I have already sent him some interesting reading (I restricted
>myself from sending as much as I would have like to send, in the name of
>keeping the associated phone bill below $1000 :-)... ).  This is, according
>to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant cutting CONCURRENT's news
>feed.  Any comments?
>
>                                                  Jonathan Kay

The purpose of the posting was NOT!!! a plug, as you so cheerfully :-)
imply.  The simple fact is that a computer manufacturer has been spun off
from their parent company, with a name change, and we thought our customers
and associates should know.  Postings are regularly seen on this net of
sitename changes, companies undergoing merger with other firms or, too
often of late, going under, etc., and these seem to be perfectly acceptable
fare.  We have already had people hanging up phones on us with a 'Sorry,
wrong number' when we answer as 'Concurrent'; we thought people on the
net might want to know where all these 'Concurrent' postings came from
and what happened to all those people who used to be at Perkin-Elmer.
Perhaps the letter from the CEO was the wrong thing to post; the fact
of the name change WAS.

					Bob Halloran
					Sr MTS, CONCURRENT Computer Corp
					(Formerly Perkin-Elmer DSG)
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {pesnta, topaz, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724	DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: I doubt that my employer wants anything to do with my opinions.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (11/20/85)

> ...someone has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt
> the most flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short
> tenure as a USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.
> ...This is, according to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant
> cutting CONCURRENT's news feed.  Any comments?  /* Written  1:39 pm
> Nov 16, 1985 by ins_ajsk@jhunix.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.news.group */
----------
Perhaps a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but some of us
do like to have words used correctly.  That is not (NOT) an ad.  It is
an announcement.  It doesn't ask you to buy anything.  It just says
they've changed their corporate identity.  There are probably a fair
number of people on the net who would be interested in hearing of
that change.  That is a perfectly reasonable use of this net and
in particular a perfect reasonable use of net.general, which is
specifically chartered to carry items of general interest.

Some people are totally without a sense of proportion.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (11/21/85)

While the change of P-E to Concurrent is newsworthy, it could have
been done in about 5 lines or less.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (11/21/85)

In article <1212@jhunix.UUCP> ins_ajsk@jhunix.UUCP (Jonathan Simon Kay) writes:
>Look what *I* found on net.general:
>
>>The purpose of this letter is to introduce you to CONCURRENT Computer
>>Corporation.
  [Massive deletion here; I see no reason to give this ^&#%^ free ads]
>>For additional information about CONCURRENT, please call us directly or
>>contact your local sales office.
>>
>>				Sincerely,
>>				James K. Sims
>>				President And CEO
>>				CONCURRENT Computer Corporation
>
>While we have been busy condemning everybody else for such vile practices
>as posting shareware, flaming, and non-optimization of mail paths, someone
>has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt the most
>flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short tenure as a
>USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.  Well, what
>shall we do?  I have already sent him some interesting reading (I restricted
>myself from sending as much as I would have like to send, in the name of
>keeping the associated phone bill below $1000 :-)... ).  This is, according
>to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant cutting CONCURRENT's news
>feed.  Any comments?
>
>                                                  Jonathan Kay
	Bravo, Jonathan -- I agree completely (100%) with you.  Net.fascists,
:-), this would appear to be your puppy, as all I can do is mail this article
to CONCURRENT every hour on the hour, which would run up expenses and useless
traffic.
						Pat Juola
						Johns Hopkins Univ,
						Dept of Maths

> For additional information about CONCURRENT, please call us directly or
> contact your local sales office.
>
> 				Sincerely,
> 				James K. Sims
> 				President And CEO
> 				CONCURRENT Computer Corporation
> While we have been busy condemning everybody else for such vile practices
> as posting shareware, flaming, and non-optimization of mail paths, someone
> has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt the most
> flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short tenure as a
> USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.  Well, what
> shall we do?  I have already sent him some interesting reading (I restricted
> myself from sending as much as I would have like to send, in the name of
> keeping the associated phone bill below $1000 :-)... ).  This is, according
> to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant cutting CONCURRENT's news
> feed.  Any comments?
>                                                   Jonathan Kay

	Everyone is entitled to at least one error in judgement, especially
in the environment of Usenet where people often engage their terminal prior
to engaging their brain. :-)
	So Mr. Sims is proud of his company and a bit overzealous; so what?
He is most assuredly now aware of his faux pas, and I am reasonably certain
that he or other members of his organization will not post a similar article
again.  There was no real harm done, since I rather doubt that the above
article posting gave Concurrent an unfair competitive edge over other vendors.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	             ihnp4!/               ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===