[comp.sys.sun] Lockscreen bypass?

klaus@uunet.uu.net (klaus u schallhorn) (04/27/91)

I have a somewhat unusual requirement for which I found no solution in the
FMs.

I need to share a 3/60 console between two people, one working on it a few
hours in the morning, the other in the afternoon. In between I want it to
run lockscreen [or something to that effect] to prevent the screen
contents to be burned into the hardware [;-)].

Is it possible for user A to run lockscreen and go home, while user B
later kills lockscreen and logs in as user B? I don't want to go over
there each time and enter user A's passwd just to do a decent logout.
Killing lockscreen remotely is ugly [and I haven't even tried this].

I offer eternal gratitude for any valid pointers.

mrl@uunet.uu.net (Mark R. Ludwig) (05/10/91)

In article <2643@brchh104.bnr.ca>, cnix!klaus@uunet (klaus u schallhorn) writes:
>I need to share a 3/60 console between two people, one working on it a few
>hours in the morning, the other in the afternoon. In between I want it to
>run lockscreen [or something to that effect] to prevent the screen
>contents to be burned into the hardware [;-)].

Perhaps you want to run ``screenblank'' instead.  It watches the keyboard
and mouse for input, and the console for output, and "turns off the
display" when idle for 10 minutes (by default).  I start it in
``rc.local'' so it's always protecting the screen.  The one annoying
feature of it which I've found is that when no one is logged in, you have
to press an echoing key before the display resumes.  (Entering your userid
to start your login works, of course.)  When you're logged in, you can
press *any* key (such as Shift) and the display will resume.

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (06/05/91)

>The one annoying feature of it which I've found is that when no one is
>logged in, you have to press an echoing key before the display resumes.
>(Entering your userid to start your login works, of course.) When
>you're logged in, you can press *any* key (such as Shift) and the
>display will resume.

Actually, it's not a question of "logged in" vs. "not logged in", it's a
question of whether a window system is running or not, but since most
people fire up a window system once they log in (there are probably some
who are masochistic enough to run directly on the console "tty", I
suspect), the net effect is usually what you describe.

tim@sybase.com (Tim Wood) (06/05/91)

In article <2643@brchh104.bnr.ca> you write:

>I need to share a 3/60 console between two people, one working on it a few
>hours in the morning, the other in the afternoon. In between I want it to
>run lockscreen [or something to that effect] to prevent the screen
>contents to be burned into the hardware [;-)].

If that's ALL you want lockscreen for, a better arrangement is to add
a line like:
	screenblank -d 1800;	echo -n ' screenblank'
to /etc/rc.local in the "local daemons" section (for pre-4.1 OS, redirect
output of the command line to /dev/console.)  This will start a
process that turns off the screen beam after 30min. of no kbd or mouse
button activity.  If you want actual security between sessions, log
out.  Screenblank will save your hardware.
HTH,
-TW
--
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim