[comp.sys.sun] X11R4, Sun2, SunOS 3.4, gcc1.39

bjork@nisc.sri.com (Steven Bjork EJ223) (05/10/91)

I have a Sun 2/120 running SunOS 3.4 and X11R4 at home.

Step 1. Bring up gcc 1.39.

Step 2. Have at least 4 meg in your machine (I have 5). The Sun2 multibus
        has a limit of six meg.  At one time I hacked some 2/50's to have 8
        (eight!) megs...

Step 3. make World.

Yes, it works fine. I copied X from a working source tree (PL18), so Step
3 might be different for you (smile).

It's amusing to load xv and play with gif's while watching vm usage go to
13 megs or so, out of the 16 in a stock 3.4 system. Wheee?

--Steven

greg@cheers.bungi.com (Greg Onufer) (06/05/91)

bjork@nisc.sri.com (Steven Bjork EJ223) writes:

>Step 2. Have at least 4 meg in your machine (I have 5). The Sun2 multibus
>        has a limit of six meg.  At one time I hacked some 2/50's to have 8
>        (eight!) megs...

The Sun-2 Multibus machines can have 7Mb of RAM accessed through the
P2 connector.  The other 1 Meg is used by the bwtwo video card.
This is one-half of the address space usable by the 68010.  The
other half is mapped onto the P1 bus.  (or something close to that).
I think they call it I/O Space and Memory Space.
I have to 4Mb cards in mine, with one meg going to waste.

X11R4 works just fine on my 2/120 running 4.0.3.  Well, a bit slow...

Cheers!greg