[comp.sys.sun] Automount trouble?

gt1111a@prism.gatech.edu (Vincent Fox) (04/27/91)

Does automount work for any of you under SunOS 4.1.1?

I make 2 new NIS maps:
1)auto.master, containing:
auto.cae
2)auto.cae, containing
/storage	-ro,intr	cadnext2:/storage

When I crank up automount with either "/usr/etc/automount" or
"/usr/etc/automount /- auto.master", it disappears as soon as I call it.
It's very curious since "/usr/etc/automount /net -hosts" works perfectly
and the automount daemon stays in the ps table like it ought to.  Yes,
/etc/exports is set correctly on the remote machine.

I must say that the automount man page suffers from extreme exceptionitis.
It's got lots of good info for exceptional and weird cases, but is pretty
useless for information on setting up a new vanilla one. At least one nice
simple example at the end would have been nice.$

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (05/01/91)

In <2640@brchh104.bnr.ca> gt1111a@prism.gatech.edu (Vincent Fox) writes:

>Does automount work for any of you under SunOS 4.1.1?

Yup.

>I make 2 new NIS maps:
>1)auto.master, containing:
>auto.cae
>2)auto.cae, containing
>/storage	-ro,intr	cadnext2:/storage

>When I crank up automount with either "/usr/etc/automount" or
>"/usr/etc/automount /- auto.master", it disappears as soon as I call it.

Your auto.master map looks buggered; have you checked for log messages?
You might get more happiness from "/usr/etc/automount /- auto.cae" with
your current maps.  For growth, I'd recommend something more like this:

auto.master:
/-		auto.cae	(default options here, if any)
(other direct & indirect maps)

auto.cae:
/storage	-ro,intr	cadnext2:/storage
(other mounts)

with a command line of:

/usr/etc/automount auto.master

Rob Thurlow, thurlow@convex.com

phil@arco.com (05/10/91)

In article <2640@brchh104.bnr.ca>, gt1111a@prism.gatech.edu (Vincent Fox)
writes:
> Does automount work for any of you under SunOS 4.1.1?
>
> I make 2 new NIS maps:
> 1)auto.master, containing:
> auto.cae
> 2)auto.cae, containing
> /storage	-ro,intr	cadnext2:/storage
>
> When I crank up automount with either "/usr/etc/automount" or
> "/usr/etc/automount /- auto.master", it disappears as soon as I call it.

I fought this one for a day (ULTRIX 4.x, SUNOS 4.1.X).
I created an auto.master as follows:
#
/- /etc/auto.direct

and then a file auto.direct as follows:
#
/share\
	/	 -rw,soft server:/share \
	/bin -rw,soft server:/share/bin \
	/src -rw,soft server:/share/src
/usr/man -rw,soft server:/usr/man
/usr/demo -rw,soft server:/usr/demo
/usr/openwin/demo -rw,soft server:/usr/openwin/demo

Be sure to invoke automount from rc.local like:
automount -f /etc/auto.master
Otherwise, the automounter will look for a NIS map.

This example shows how to do a directory hierarchy.

The only problems I have, are that the automounter cannot be refreshed.
The machine needs to be rebooted when a change is made to auto.direct.  A
kill -HUP PID does not work.  And if a manual page is added to
/usr/man/mann (we made this one world writable), all machines that
automount /usr/man get stale NFS mounts when dismounting /usr/man.

Phil Meyer         phil@arco.com  Work:(214) 754-6805                      | +=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (06/05/91)

In <2796@brchh104.bnr.ca> phil@arco.com writes:
>The only problems I have, are that the automounter cannot be refreshed.
>The machine needs to be rebooted when a change is made to auto.direct.

Direct maps are like that, unfortunately; a SIGHUP won't fix them.
But rebooting is extreme; a simple kill of the automounter with
SIGTERM* and a restart should do.

* Don't use other signals!  Only this signal will have the automounter
do a clean exit without leaving dead mount points in place.

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow, thurlow@convex.com
An employee and not a spokesman for Convex Computer Corp., Dallas, TX