[comp.sys.sun] named

burns@das.harvard.edu (05/10/91)

I have just set up a new Sparc2 and connected it to the Internet.  I have
set up the named.* files.  I can't get it to interpret names dynamically;
even though named is up and running, storing many names in its cache, I
get a "host unknown" error every time.  What's the matter?  Do I have to
get BIND and recompile everything, even though my machine came with named
already installed?  (SunOS 4.1.1)

John A. Burns (burns@thurifer.harvard.edu, burns@huche1.bitnet)

katz@rpal.rockwell.com (06/05/91)

In article <2821@brchh104.bnr.ca> burns@das.harvard.edu writes:

> I have just set up a new Sparc2 and connected it to the Internet.  I have
> set up the named.* files.  I can't get it to interpret names dynamically;
> even though named is up and running, storing many names in its cache, I
> get a "host unknown" error every time.  What's the matter?  Do I have to
> get BIND and recompile everything, even though my machine came with named
> already installed?  (SunOS 4.1.1)

Are you running NIS(YP)?  Sun's nameserver only works through NIS.
Did you remember to put the -b flag in /var/yp/Makefile to tell it you
want DNS to run?  Did you run ypbind with the -d flag to tell it to
use DNS?