[comp.sys.sun] Openwindows doesn't work on new install of 4.1.1

Davison@uh.edu (Dan Davison) (04/29/91)

I just installed 4.1.1 on my Sun-3/80, 2x104 MB disk, 8MB memory.  When I
try to use Openwindows, I get dumped back to the shell prompt with some
strange error messages.  If you've seen something like this or know how to
fix it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

[all below simulated]

% /usr/openwin/bin/openwin
XNeWS: can't find fonts
FONTPATH="/usr/openwin/lib/fonts"             <--but they *are* there!
giving up
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to
connect to X server

If I put a -xv at the top of the openwin shell script the problem comes
at:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/xnews :0 -auth \
          /home/dbd/.xnews.theory:0

And if I just try to start xinit directly using this command:
        xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/xnews
I get
        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found

Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

I did not install the openwin demos or extra fonts due to lack of disk
space. (Couldn't put the manual pages on either, sheesh). Otherwise
everything appears to be in the right places (/usr/openwin/...) on the
non-NFS-mounted /usr partition.

Thanks in advance,

davison@uh.edu, DAVISON@UHOU, davison@uhnix1.UUCP, voice:713-749-7599
fax 713-749-3239 Snail: Dept. of Biochemical Sciences, U. of Houston,
4800 Calhoun, Houston, TX 77004 USA

komarnit@tramp.Colorado.EDU (KOMARNITSKY ALEK O) (05/01/91)

In article <2721@brchh104.bnr.ca> Davison@uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>I just installed 4.1.1 on my Sun-3/80, 2x104 MB disk, 8MB memory.  When I
>try to use Openwindows, I get dumped back to the shell prompt with some
>strange error messages.  If you've seen something like this or know how to
>fix it, I would appreciate hearing from you.
>XNeWS: can't find fonts
>        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found
>
>Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

Umm, seems to be you might want to re-install. I was able to get
OpenWindows and OS on a Sparc1 (larger executables) with 80 Megs of swap
on 2X104 drives.  For XNeWS, maybe it does require the "extra" fonts ?!?
On the ld.so problem, doesn't one need to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set as
described in the manual (or have ldconfig'ed /usr/openwin/lib) in order
for it to find these (?)

My apologies if my memory is faulty.
Alek Komarnitsky (Dumb MBA Student), University of Colorado

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (05/24/91)

I asked:
   >I just installed 4.1.1 on my Sun-3/80, 2x104 MB disk, 8MB memory.  When I
   >try to use Openwindows, I get dumped back to the shell prompt with some
   >strange error messages.  If you've seen something like this or know how to
   >fix it, I would appreciate hearing from you.
   > [...]
   >XNeWS: can't find fonts
   > [...]
   >        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found
   >Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

Thanks to all who replied. Strangely, it wasn't the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or
FONT_PATH: it's a bad message!  The install didn't run a program called
bldfamily, so /usr/openwin/lib/fonts/Family.list was never created. It is
*that* missing file responsible for the "can't find fonts" message.

Many thanks to Josh Siegel at Sun who headed right for that file.  I
*think* that file wasn't made or put on the disk because I didn't install
the full "extra fonts" from the OS distribution.  I suspect the list gets
made somewhere during the installation of the full font set.

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (06/05/91)

>        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found
>
>Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

Well, in the 4.1.1 we have here, it's both "libX11.so.1.0" *and*
"libX11.so.4.3", with the latter a symlink to the former; the latter
name was probably chosen for MIT X11R4 compatibility (the version number
in X11R4 is 4.2).

marty@puppsr.princeton.edu (06/05/91)

In article <2924@brchh104.bnr.ca>, auspex!guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) writes:
|> Well, in the 4.1.1 we have here, it's both "libX11.so.1.0" *and*
|> "libX11.so.4.3", with the latter a symlink to the former; the latter
|> name was probably chosen for MIT X11R4 compatibility (the version number
|> in X11R4 is 4.2).

   One very big fly in this ointment is that libX11.so.1.0 (the OpenWindows
version of libX11) is *not* X11R4!!!! it's R3!! (check the include files in
/usr/openwin/include/X11).  So, when I tried building X11R4 clients within
the OpenWindows environment, I got tons of errors.  For some !@%$%@ reason,
the *entire* OpenWindows 2.0 code environment is X11R3 instead of X11R4.
Anyone at Sun or with further info care to comment?  Our workaround has been
to use libX11.4.2 (from the MIT X tape) and have the libX11.4.3 symlink point
to it instead (to stop ld.so from complaining).  We have also made the
/usr/openwin/include/X11 directory point to the X11R4 include files.

--
Dr. Marty Ryba                | ex-slave physics grad student
Princeton University          | They don't care if I exist,