[comp.sys.sun] Sun 2/50 Memory Expansion Board Troubles

logan@torag.guild.org (Scott I. Logan) (06/05/91)

Newsgroups: alt.sys.sun
From: logan@torag.guild.org (Scott I. Logan)
Subject: Sun 2/50 Memory Expansion Card Troubles
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 02:23:25 GMT
Sender: logan@guild.org

I recently acquired a 1meg Memory Expansion Board for my Sun 2/50.  This is
the standard 9U VME type with the 6U socket on it for a SCSI/SKY board.  It
is replacing a zero-meg expansion board I was using before.

However, my kernel (3.5) refuses to recognize the extra memory.  When it boots,
it displays the memory size as '4096K'.  A kind soul sent me the appropriate
jumper setting for the card, so I checked them out.  When the board arrived,
the jumper settings were:

	J2200		5-6
	J2201		5-6, 9-10, 13-14

According to the instructions I was sent, J2200 should have been '3-4', so
I changed it.  That didn't help.

Does anyone have any other ideas?  Is there anything on the CPU board which
needs to be changed to make this work?  I've tried it with two separate 4meg
CPU's, and neither worked.  How about in the Kernel?  I've booted with the
GENERIC kernel, and that also didn't help.

If anyone had ANY ideas, please let me know!  It's very frustrating having an
extra meg of RAM and not being able to use it....

Thanks,

Scott Logan						logan@guild.org
We don't believe in miracles... we rely on them.	logan@torag.uucp