[comp.sys.sun] post to comp.sys.sun

wheat@mcnc.org (06/05/91)

From: wheat@aurs01.uucp (Lee Wheat)
Newsgroups: Triangle.sun,comp.sys.sun
Subject: a pleasant dilemma...
Greetings...this is a posting for a friend who does not have
access to the wonderful land of news :-(. Please post
replies here and I'll relay them.

The place where he works is switching their development
environment from DOS to Unix (another one bites the dust!
:-). Management (in a rare flash of common sense and not a
little generosity) has placed a price cap on each
workstation setup per engineer at $15000 (they might go as
high as $20000 if there is a demonstrable advantage). After
looking around at the world at large (and drooling over spec
sheets from various vendors), they have decided to outfit
the place with Sun workstations.

Now the tricky part. Since they want to get the most bang
for the buck, what sort of configuration would the wizards
of netland (or anybody with an opinion) recommend? I am not
familiar with Sun's current pricing and I don't have the
performance specs right here. My minimum recommendations
were at least a Sparc IPC, 16M of mem, 207M of local disk,
and 19" color. Does anyone else have another way to properly
use the budget (this is for about 20 engineers initially).
They will also need a file server but they think they have
it figured out (i think it's a Sun 4/330). Any suggestions
here are also welcome.

The other problem is their current product base. It uses an
in-house built ibm pc (with a few extras) as the basis for
the user interface. Since this is a standard pc in most
respects, they used turbo-c with a light dusting of assembly
language. They want to move the support of this stuff over
to the Suns as well. Does anyone know of a C cross-compiler
which runs on a Sparc but cranks out DOS code? The only
alternative they have at the moment is to run turbo-c under
a dos emulator :-(. This is the biggest burr under upper
management's saddle at the moment.

thanks is advance for the help...

_lee