[comp.sys.sun] How to get back to Sun's setup screen...

gwf@sapphire.bellcore.com (George W. Fleming) (05/10/91)

When you start up a Sun for the very first time, and when you've just
installed OS4.1.1, you get a menu screen asking you to enter some network
informations (hostname, IP address, NIS, etc.).  Does anyone know how to
reset the Sun to this initial state?

It would be nice to simply bring up this screen again instead of changing
the information manually in /etc.

George W. Fleming
gwf@sapphire.bellcore.com

gwf@sapphire.bellcore.com (George W. Fleming) (06/05/91)

Thanks for the (overwhelming) reponses that I received.  This,
apparently, is an easy thing to do; and there seems to be a number
of ways of doing it.  The most appropriate way of doing it seems
to be running the 'sys-unconfig' command.

Thanks for all the responses!

--
-------------------------
George W. Fleming

ajay@meaddata.com (Ajay Patel) (06/05/91)

--

There are scripts under /usr/etc/install that will unconfigure your system.
The one that you are looking for is /usr/etc/install/sys-unconfig.  This

Hope it works out.  I have tried it on Sun 3/80s and it has always worked
for me.  Good Luck!

Note : For the 3/80s or Sun3s the scripts are under /usr/etc/install/script
       while for Sun4 the scripts are under /usr/etc/install.

------------------------I speak for myself ONLY!!----------------------------

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (06/05/91)

In article <2789@brchh104.bnr.ca> you write:
>When you start up a Sun for the very first time, and when you've just
>installed OS4.1.1, you get a menu screen asking you to enter some network
>informations (hostname, IP address, NIS, etc.).  Does anyone know how to
>reset the Sun to this initial state?

Try "man sys-unconfigure" and "man sys-configure".
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms