From: ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: a stand alone SUN3 wanted
Date: 10 May 91 04:56:54 GMT

I am looking for a stand alone SUN3 with decent configuration. The price
I would pay for CPU board + monitor + OS licence is $2700.
If you know the addresses of reliable resellers, please let me know.
Dr Y. Tsuji
ytsuji@cfi.waseda.ac.jp

lung@venice.sedd.trw.com (Diane M. Lung) (06/05/91)

From: lung@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Diane M. Lung)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: Re: Installing a 1.2G Fujistu Hard Drive on a SUN 4/330
Date: 10 May 91 21:45:59 GMT

From article <2848@brchh104.bnr.ca>, by patrick@medicine.uchicago.edu (Patrick Goetz):
> Help!  We have been trying (unsuccessfully) to install a 1.2 Gigabyte
> Fujitsu M2266S on a SUN 4/330.  The machine simply doesn't "see" the hard
> disk.  All the obvious problems (inverted cable, wrong ID, bad
> termination, etc.) have been checked out, and the drive works fine when
> attached to a SPARC 1+ workstation.  Has anyone used this drive on a SUN
> 4/330 ?  Any ideas on what our problem is ?  We would greatly appreciate
> any help with this problem.  (Since I normally don't use Pnews, I would
> prefer that responses be sent directly to the address listed above.)

If anyone has a solution to this I'm interested too. We had the identical
problem on our 4/330 with a SUN-669 not too long ago. Because we couldn't
get it running, we ended up leaving it on the 1+ and NFSing.

Howie
howard%romulus@venice.sedd.trw.com

cbeale@uunet.uu.net (Stud Muffin) (06/05/91)

From: cbeale@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Stud Muffin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: RPC problems on Sun3's
Date: 14 May 91 17:39:59 GMT

Problem:  Some of our Sun3's running 4.0.3 are spewing out "RPC: can't encode
the arguments" in bursts a few seconds apart.  The repetitive nature of this
problem leads me to believe that it's some sort of daemon gremlin.  Has
anyone else experienced this problem?  We called Sun but you now how that goes.
I apologize if this is old turf but we are just now getting a news feed in
here and I've been out of touch for a while.  Note that I'm still using my
university account.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Beale
Low guy on the big totem-pole.
Oopse, I haven't changed my sig since I became a taxpayer.

news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (06/05/91)

From: pat@dingo.gsfc.nasa.gov (Pat Ryan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: motif for sun?
Date: 21 May 91 17:13:40 GMT
Sender: news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov

I know that there are vendors out there who have versions of Motif for
Suns.  Can anyone tell me who these vendors might be?  Can anyone recommend
on vendor's implementation over another?

I've got a SPARCStation running SunOS 4.1.1.

Please email and I'll post a summary.

Thanks,
Pat

--
                                                                patrick ryan
                                                       oceans and ice branch

news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (06/05/91)

From: karl@spruce.gsfc.nasa.gov (karl anderson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: Re: 207 MB Drives in SS1(+)'s
Date: 24 May 91 13:25:13 GMT
Sender: news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:

|>Can you put a 207 MB disk in a SS1+ (or an old SS1)?

I've got an SS1+ with one MicroNet Si 200 Mb and one Quantum ProDrive
105 Mb drive in it.  I've never had any problems.
--
Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815

news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (06/05/91)

From: karl@spruce.gsfc.nasa.gov (karl anderson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: printing TeX output on Sun laserwriter
Date: 28 May 91 20:56:38 GMT
Sender: news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov

I've got the Transript software installed on my Suns here, and
/etc/printcap has /usr/tran/[arch]/lib/psdf defined as the filter
for the -d option to lpd.  However, attempts to print dvi files
with lpr -d filename.dvi generate "psdf: filter not available."
messages.  This message is built in to the psdf script, as a matter
of fact:

root@forest# tail psdf
case $prog in
        psif) exec $comm ;;
        psof) exec psbanner $pname ; exit 0 ;;
        psnf) psdit | $comm ;;
        pstf) pscat | $comm ;;
        psgf) psplot | $comm ;;
        psvf) pssun -2 -l .45 2.5 | $comm;;
 ---->  pscf|psdf|psrf) echo "$prog: filter not available." 1>&2  ;
                        psbad $prog $pname $user $host | $comm ;;
esac

It seems that Transcript doesn't actually support printing
dvi files :-(.  Does anybody have a working version of psdf, or
other filter I can use for dvi files?  TIA.

From: pat@dingo.gsfc.nasa.gov (Pat Ryan)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,comp.sys.sun
Subject: Sun ignoring KeyPress events
Date: 29 May 91 21:35:50 GMT
Sender: news@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov

I've got a really simple question which doesn't seem to be in the
FAQL.  I have a Sun SPARCStation SLC running SunOS 4.1.1 with
xview to handle my XWindows.  My problem is that some windows
which expect to receive keyboard input are ignoring KeyPresses
and beeping instead.  It's as though the KeyPress event mask
hadn't been set.  Looking at the source code though, I know
that it has been.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Pat