[comp.sys.sun] Sun 3/60 Questions

sjc@sumax.seattleu.edu (05/24/91)

I plan on buying a Sun 3/60 in the next month and would like to have
answers to the questions listed below so I can get the system I need at a
reasonable price.

1) What version of SunOS has X11R3? X11R4.
2) What versions of SunOS have OpenWindows?
3) Minimum system requirements to run OpenWindows?
4) Disk space consumed by SunOS 4.1.1
5) Can latest version of SunOS be purchased from Sun and at what price.
6) MIPS that Sun 3/60 runs at?

If you can answer any of the above questions, please post to this news
group.  E-mail to this site is unreliable.

Thank you
Steve Courton
sjc@polari.UUCP

gt1111a@prism.gatech.edu (Vincent Fox) (06/05/91)

polari!sjc@sumax.seattleu.edu writes:

>I plan on buying a Sun 3/60 in the next month and would like to have
>answers to the questions listed below so I can get the system I need at a
>reasonable price.

>1) What version of SunOS has X11R3? X11R4.
None. You get the MIT source for X Windows and compile it yourself.

>2) What versions of SunOS have OpenWindows?
4.1.1 is the first to include it on the basic 2 OS tapes.

>3) Minimum system requirements to run OpenWindows?
I recommend 16 megs of RAM, 24 megs swap minimum. I must say that
while OpenWindows has nice bells and whistles, in terms of perceived
performance and response time, MIT's X Windows wins hands down.
All that nifty stuff drags it down I think.
TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
Plus which while OpenWindows looks pretty nice in color (big deal!)
it's advantage is removed on mono screens.

>4) Disk space consumed by SunOS 4.1.1
You'll need at least a 100meg disk. You won't be able to load everything
though. 200+ is better. We buy disks like these new 1.6gig Elite drives
for our servers. The client stations have maybe 100-200 meg drives. The
client doesn't have the manual pages (~20 megs), X (~20 megs), or
OpenWindows (~35?) on the local disk, NFS mounting it from the server
instead. This is not satisfactory from a network bandwidth standpoint
or performance, but works for us for now..
>5) Can latest version of SunOS be purchased from Sun and at what price.
No idea. Seem to remember something like $300 sans manuals.
>6) MIPS that Sun 3/60 runs at?
About 3 MIPS. Nothing stellar, but with a stripped down kernel, minimal
number of processes, mono screen, and 16+megs RAM, gives pretty decent
performance.
--
Vincent Fox (That's Mr. Bucko to you)|Georgia Tech, the only place where Friday
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA             |is only two working days away from Monday.

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (06/05/91)

polari!sjc@sumax.seattleu.edu writes:

> 6) MIPS that Sun 3/60 runs at?

I don't know much about the other questions so I'll let others tackle them.
I am sure you can get Sun OS 4.1 or whatever is latest for the 3/60 but talk
to your Sun rep. I hear 4.1 will be the last OS upgrade available from Sun
since the standard after next year will be System V Release 4 -- and
available for SPARC only (from Sun that is).  Perhaps you can get SVr4 from
Commodore-Amiga by then.  The 3/60 is a 16MHz 68020 soit probably cranks out
about 2 mips -- maybe 4 mips max. I crudely ran a drhystone (version 1.0 I
think) and it showed about 4500 dhrystones per second.

Just out of curiousity, would you please e_mail me the price and
configuration of 3/60 you're getting? I'm trying to talk my boss into
getting us a used Sun and like to keep up with the market prices.

Hope the info helps some.

Travis -- tbissett@nstar.rn.com

--
Travis Bissett       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines