[comp.sys.sun] Quota under Sun

"lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU"@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (06/05/91)

For a Sun Sparc 1+, SunOS version 4.1.1:

If quota is  enforced  on a  file system, how  do you set the timer so
that logins are disabled after the  time has elapsed? I've tried using
`edquota -t' for /usr2 (where user files are stored),  and have set it
to 3 days.   But when I  do `/usr/etc/repquota -v  /usr2', I still get
entries  like  "NOT STARTED" under   timeleft  column  for users  with
exceeded quota. For a long time, I had not set any  time limit, so the
entries for  users with exceeded quota  had timeleft as "NOT STARTED",
and   that  made sense.  But  now,  after  I have   set the timelimit,
shouldn't  this  be changed.  I  tried running `/usr/etc/quotacheck -v
/usr2' and restarted rpc.quotad but these  didn't  help. Do I  need to
reboot? Something I  don't like to  do  especially during the last few
weeks of the semester.  Any suggestions?
--

Binod Taterway                     |    lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Sr. User Consultant                |    bt00@lehigh.BITNET

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (06/11/91)

In article <2951@brchh104.bnr.ca> "lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU"@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>If quota is  enforced  on a  file system, how  do you set the timer so
>that logins are disabled after the  time has elapsed?  I see "NOT STARTED".

The disk-quota system does not disable logins when quota is exceeded.  It
disables the creation of new files after the user has logged in.  The
timer starts after the user logs in and gets the quota-exceeded message.

If a user currently has 4 megabytes of disk files and you set the soft
limit to 3000 and the hard limit to 5000, "quota -v" will report "NOT
STARTED".  After that user logs in, the "time left" will start counting
down.  The user will be allowed to create new files (up to the 5meg hard
limit) and will be warned at each login that he/she has exceede the soft
(4meg) limit.  After 7 days, if the user has not reduced disk usage, the
system will soft limit becomes hard; absolutely no new files until disk
usage has been reduced.

>I tried running `/usr/etc/quotacheck -v /usr2' and restarted rpc.quotad but
>these didn't help. Do I need to reboot? Something I don't like to do
>especially during the last few weeks of the semester.  Any suggestions?
>Binod Taterway                     |    lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU

Unless those users log in, their timers will never get started.  You
misunderstand how the quota timer works.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | CA license plate: "POPJ P," (PDP-10)
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga 3000 speaks for me."