[comp.sys.sun] The LOCK FILE that doesn't

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/05/91)

	Someone please help !
	I've tried and tried and tried to solve this myself!

	SYSTEM: Sun SS2, SunOS 4.1.1, OW2.0 etc etc.

	PROGRAMS: uucp, cu, pcomm

	SUMMARY: The lock file created by pcomm is ignored by uucp.
		 The lock file created by cu works well with uucp.

	When using pcomm, my favorite (so far) comm program for unix,
uucp comes along with some mail to send to uunet and proceedes to
take over the modem in a most brutal fashion despite the fact that
I happen to be using the modem at the time. uucp starts sending
ATDT commands and intercepting the return chars and generally getting
me very upset.

	I have the pcomm program owned by uucp. Pcomms mode is "..s..x..x",
ie, I have the SETUID bit set. The lock file gets created by pcomm,
a ls -aldg * looks like this:
.r..r..r	uucp	staff	LCK..cua1
but uucp ignores it, erases it and takes over my modem. @#$% !!!!

	What do I have to do to get uucp to leave my modem alone
while I am using it?????

	Please send me mail directly, as I do not get most of the
news groups I have posted this message to.

karln%karln@uunet.uu.net
uunet!karln!karln

				Thanks to all who help,
				Karl Nicholas
| Karl Nicholas             | A recent Gallop Poll showed that 1 in 6 |
| karln%karln@uunet.uu.net  | Americans have spoken to a dead person. |

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (06/13/91)

In article <3556@brchh104.bnr.ca> karln!uunet.uu.net!karln@uunet.uu.net writes:
>	SYSTEM: Sun SS2, SunOS 4.1.1, OW2.0 etc etc.
>	PROGRAMS: uucp, cu, pcomm
>	SUMMARY: The lock file created by pcomm is ignored by uucp.
>		 The lock file created by cu works well with uucp.
>	I have the pcomm program owned by uucp. Pcomms mode is "..s..x..x",
>ie, I have the SETUID bit set. The lock file gets created by pcomm,
>a ls -aldg * looks like this:
>.r..r..r	uucp	staff	LCK..cua1
>but uucp ignores it, erases it and takes over my modem. @#$% !!!!

You did not say which directory pcomm is putting the lock into.
SunOS-4.1.1 uses HDB-uucp, which puts its locks in /var/spool/locks
instead of /var/spool/uucp.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | CA license plate: "POPJ P," (PDP-10)
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga 3000 speaks for me."