[comp.sys.sun] Process "Class": Timesharing or Realtime; Is this for real?

paul@uunet.uu.net (Paul Evan Matz) (06/05/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun

At an Sun OEM developer's conference in the spring of 1990, there was
panel discussion which touched on some impending SunOS/SysVR4
functionality regarding "realer time" aspects of processes.  As I
recall, the plan was to allow classification of processes as either
"Timesharing" or "Realtime";  Timesharing processes would be like the
garden variety Unix process.  They get pre-empted after their slice of
CPU time.  Realtime processes were to be prioritized (20 levels), and
would be allowed to run until they blocked.  I don't remember if a
higher priority process became ready while another was running whether
the current process was pre-empted.  Sounded kind of interesting.

I was wondering what the current state of this functionality is.  Can't
seem to find anything in the 4.1.1 manpages that refer to this.  Is it
in SVR4?  Am I dreaming?

Thanks (wishful thinking).

Regards,
| Paul E. Matz, Principal Engineer, PPG Biomedial Systems    |
|   RR 2, Box 55, 26 Lewis Road, Pound Ridge, NY, 10576      |
|   Phone: 914-234-0745, or 914-234-0661                     |
| (in KS:)                                                   |
|   PO Box 15955, 16505 W. 113 Street, Lenexa, Kansas  66215 |
|   Phone: 913-894-7500 x7179  Fax: 913-894-7600             |
| email: {...}!uunet!bmskc!paul or paul@bmskc.ppg.com        |

news@uunet.uu.net (All the News - Period) (06/28/91)

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 14:22:00 CST
Apparently-To: uunet!comp-sys-sun

This article was probably generated by a buggy news reader.