[net.news.group] mod.computers and rn save

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (11/20/85)

In rn, saving an article from the mod.computers.* groups causes
articles from all the subgroups to end up in the single file
named "Mod.computers.".

It seems notes isn't the only popular program affected by those long
names on systems with 14-character file names.  (I know rn can save
to other file names, but the issue is the normal behavior)

At least mod.comp.* would have avoided this kind of trivial problem.
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon  Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.         circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W   (612)481-3507 {ihnp4,mgnetp}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Heiby) (12/03/85)

In article <389@mecc.UUCP> sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:
>In rn, saving an article from the mod.computers.* groups causes
>articles from all the subgroups to end up in the single file
>named "Mod.computers.".
>
>It seems notes isn't the only popular program affected by those long
>names on systems with 14-character file names.  (I know rn can save
>to other file names, but the issue is the normal behavior)

In fact a simple work-around, which I used even before the long group
names came about was the "-/" flag on the command line.  (I have it
as part of a ksh alias for rn.)  This flag makes the default save
directory structure match the structure of the spool directory.  I.e.,
saving article 123 in mod.computers.laser-printers would create the
file $HOME/News/mod/computers/laser-printers/123 with the article.
(Assuming you are using the default %p value.)
--
Ron Heiby {NAC|ihnp4}!cuae2!heiby   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.unix
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109