[comp.sys.sun] Help! uucp/tip doesn't drop the line upon termination

tg@chmsr.gatech.edu (T. Govindaraj) (06/05/91)

Since we upgraded to OS 4.1.1 several months ago we have a problem.
After using tip or uucp (from Sun to Sun) neither machine drops the
line on the modem. We are using Concord Data 2400 baud modems. The
line has to be manually reset on the calling modem.

When I call the Sun from a NeXT (for uucp or tip), the NeXT drops
the line upon termination of uucp (or tip via ~.).

We have not had this problem with the previous version of OS. Are
we doing something wrong? Any suggestions to get rid of this problem
will be appreciated. Thanks.

govind

T. Govindaraj 	+1 404 894 3873 (voice)		tg@chmsr.gatech.edu
		+1 404 894 2301 (fax)		tg@chmsr.uucp; 128.61.3.10

School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
765 Ferst Drive, ISyE-0205, Atlanta, GA 30332-0205, USA

devil@techunix.technion.ac.il (Gil Tene) (06/13/91)

In article <2933@brchh104.bnr.ca> tg@chmsr.gatech.edu (T. Govindaraj) writes:
>Since we upgraded to OS 4.1.1 several months ago we have a problem.
>After using tip or uucp (from Sun to Sun) neither machine drops the
>line on the modem. We are using Concord Data 2400 baud modems. The
>line has to be manually reset on the calling modem.
> .
> .
>We have not had this problem with the previous version of OS. Are
>we doing something wrong? Any suggestions to get rid of this problem
>will be appreciated. Thanks.

SunOs 4.1 added the ttysoftcar (ttysoftcar(1)) command/feature.  Your rc
runs it as ttysoftcar -a at boot time (usually), and it sets soft carrier
behaviour for tty lines based on the local/remote field on the right hand
side of the columns in /etc/ttytab.

The fix is simple: edit /etc/ttytab so that the modem line tty has
"remote" instead of "local", then there won't be a soft carrier, and all
should work fine. This depends, of course, on proper hardware handshake
lines and such, but since it worked before, it should work with this
fix...

HtH,

-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just doesn't pay    --
-- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (06/28/91)

In article <3790@brchh104.bnr.ca> devil@techunix.technion.ac.il (Gil Tene) writes:
>The fix is simple: edit /etc/ttytab so that the modem line tty has
>"remote" instead of "local", then there won't be a soft carrier, and all
>should work fine. This depends, of course, on proper hardware handshake
>lines and such, but since it worked before, it should work with this
>fix...

FYI, "remote" is not a recognized flag in ttytab.  The only flags which
are recognized by the getttyent(3) routine are
	on
	off
	secure
	local
	window=

The absence of "local" is enough to do what you want.

Adding "remote" (or any other non-flag word) will cause getttyent(3) to
think it has seen the beginning of a comment and it will therefore
cease processing the ttytab entry.  So this will only work properly if
"remote" is the last "flag" on the line.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com