[comp.sys.sun] type4 keyboard for sun3

aldrich@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Aldrich) (06/05/91)

Has anyone out there adapted a Type4 keyboard to a Sun3?  I have a
perfectly adequate 3/50-4.1.1 (adequate because it didn't cost
anything and it works :-): 12M memory, 2x327M disk, QIC-24, and a nice
modem).  But after getting used to the Type4 device, I find the older
model a minor pain.  Since I have access to a number of Type4s left
over from 386i to IPC upgrades, I'd really like to give my fingers a
break if it's possible.  Any experience with this out there?  Thanks
in advance, I'll summarize replies to anyone interested.
 Jeff Aldrich    <aldrich@cats.com>
 Systems/Network Manager
 C*ATS Software, Inc.

adams@ucunix.san.uc.edu (J. Adams - SunOS Wizard) (06/28/91)

In article <3636@brchh104.bnr.ca> portal!charlene!aldrich@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Aldrich) writes:
>Has anyone out there adapted a Type4 keyboard to a Sun3?  I have a

My 3/60, purchased new and showing Apr/90 date of mfg, came with a type
4 keyboard.  The docs stated that the dip switch #1 should be set 'on'
for SunOS 3.5 on a Sun 3 and 'off' for SunOS 4.0 or later.  For Sun 386i
and Sun4 machines, switch 1 should be 'off'.  The LED's will only work
with SunOS 4.1 or later.

There should be no other problems, except you may need to change the key
mapping if your applications are specific for the old style keyboard.

--
       Jim Adams              Department of Physiology and Biophysics
adams@ucunix.san.uc.edu     University of Cincinnati College of Medicine