[comp.sys.sun] memory problem on Sun 3/60

mferrare@adelphi.physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) (05/10/91)

We have 3 Sun 3/60s running SunOS 4.0.3 that just got upgraded from 4Mb to
8Mb.  Since the upgrade users have noticed that when they edit their files
they will find recent changes have not been made, strange characters have
been inserted in their files and one case one user got another user's file
overwritten on his file.  The w/s boot saying 8192k RAM available but they
only test 4Mb when switched on.  The jumpers have been set properly.  It
looks like there is some buffering problem because the files appear OK on
the file server (Sun 4/280 running 4.0.3).  The filesystems are exported
using NFS.

Any ideas?
Thanks
       _             Name  : Mark Ferraretto	   Title: Computing Officer
      \  \           Place : Department of Physics and Mathematical Physics
 ||     \  \                 University of Adelaide
==========>==>==--   Aarnet: mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au

cjr@uunet.uu.net (Cris J. Rhea) (06/05/91)

When you add memory, you also have to change
the EEPROM to test the added memory.
I believe that "q 14" from the boot prompt is the
correct address. If memory serves me, you
need to change addresses 14 and 15 to 08 to indicate
8 meg.

Cristopher J. Rhea
Senior Engineer
Supercomputer Systems, Incorporated
...uunet!ssi!cjr

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (06/11/91)

>When you add memory, you also have to change
>the EEPROM to test the added memory.

Don't bother -- the power-up memory tests aren't worth the prom they're
burned into.  I consistently see machines where those tests pass memory
that immediately generates a parity error when the kernel starts running.

datri@convex.com

davids@sunwa.aus.sun.com (06/28/91)

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> >When you add memory, you also have to change
> >the EEPROM to test the added memory.
>
> Don't bother -- the power-up memory tests aren't worth the prom they're
> burned into.  I consistently see machines where those tests pass memory
> that immediately generates a parity error when the kernel starts running.
>
> datri@convex.com

G'Day from Sunny W.A.

	Hmm. I've found that shifting the order of the SIMMS fixes this. Don't
	know why..

	Dave.

|          David Scott-Courtland                                        |
|  ,-_|\   Systems Software Engineer       Internet: davids@Aus.Sun.COM |
| /     \  Sun Microsystems Australia      ACSnet  : davids@sunwa.oz.au |
| *_,-._/  ACN 003 145 337 Inc. in NSW     Phone: +61 9 388 2161        |
|      v   130 Hay Street                  Fax:   +61 9 388 2171        |
|	   Perth WA 6008                                                |