[comp.sys.sun] SUN Laboratory Opinions

PRENDER@mps.ohio-state.edu (Shawn Prendergast) (06/05/91)

From: prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: SUN Laboratory Opinions
Date: 30 May 91 22:06:26 EDT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to comp.sys.sun

Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible) display
(grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along with
standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2 2.0
(32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
opinions of people actually USING SUNs (or actually, ANY of the above systems)
in a laboratory enviroment.

is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
SUN run (I am a mainframe UnixBaby, though), and so hope to get some real
nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything provided would be greatly appreciated.
As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read but postings to this group should be noticed
as well :-) ...

Thanks.

S Prendergast
OSU Physics
prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio.state.edu                 prender@ohstpy.BITNET

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (06/28/91)

|> Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible)
|> display
|> (grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along
|> with
|> standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
|> fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
|> the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2
|> 2.0
|> (32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
|> up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
|> nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
|> opinions of people actually USING SUNs (or actually, ANY of the above
|> systems)
|> in a laboratory enviroment.

|> is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
|> SUN run (I am a mainframe UnixBaby, though), and so hope to get some real
|> nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything provided would be greatly
|> appreciated.
|> As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read but postings to this group should be
|> noticed
|> as well :-) ...

|> Thanks.

|> S Prendergast

	I administer a lab dealing with signal processing and speach
	recognition.  We work with HUGE databases of data and run
	large jobs dealing with these databases.  Thus number crunching
	is a big part of the usage of our computers.  Now, this is our
	set-up:

	4 SparcStation 2's  one with 48 MB and the others with 32MB.
	Sun Slc (small - IMHO opinion, useless.. (not quite useless, but...))
	They all run off of a Sun 4/380 server.
	We have about 35 users.

	Now, you might want to take a look at SGI workstations as well.
	They are *the* number crunching personal workstation.  I have not
	worked with them all that much...Now, they do NOT yet run X which
	is a BIG strike against them.

	My suggestion to you:  get a Sun server and some Sparc2's with
	color monitors.  If the data needs to be shared between everyone
	this is probably a good choice.

	Now, I also administer a smaller lab of about 6 people.  This lab
	has just started.  There are two Sparc2's.  The server is one of
	the Sparcs.  This is ok, but is simply not enough.

	Hope this helps!!

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879