[comp.sys.sun] 1/2" Tape Drive: Driver Needed

gaitan@sophia.eeel.nist.gov (Michael Gaitan B364 x2070) (05/24/91)

We just upgraded our 3/280 to a 4/300.  After installing 4.1.1 we were
unpleasantly surprised to find that there is NO driver for the 1/2" tape
drive.  SUN told us that others have had this same experience.  DOES
ANYONE HAVE A DRIVER FOR THIS CONFIGURATION.....PLEASE HELP!!

gaitan@sed.eeel.nist.gov

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (06/05/91)

In article <2896@brchh104.bnr.ca> gaitan@sophia.eeel.nist.gov (Michael Gaitan B364 x2070) writes:
>We just upgraded our 3/280 to a 4/300.  After installing 4.1.1 we were
>unpleasantly surprised to find that there is NO driver for the 1/2" tape
>drive.  SUN told us that others have had this same experience.  DOES
>ANYONE HAVE A DRIVER FOR THIS CONFIGURATION.....PLEASE HELP!!
>gaitan@sed.eeel.nist.gov

I don't understand what problems you are having.  If you are complaining
that the file /sys/sun4/conf/XDXT330 does not exist, that is true but
is not a problem.  The GENERIC file has entries for xct0 and xt0
if you what to access the Xylogics 1/2-inch tape controller.  All the
device-driver modules are on disk.

So what's wrong with simply running the GENERIC kernel on your Sun-4/300?
	-Joe
P.S. The XD and XT drivers also work on the 3/280 to 4/490 upgrade.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

) (06/28/91)

From: suskind@mdcbbs.com (Barry A. Suskind, Knights who say NI!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: Re: 1/2" Tape Drive: Driver Needed
Date: 30 May 91 05:32:06 PDT

In article <2896@brchh104.bnr.ca>, gaitan@sophia.eeel.nist.gov
(Michael Gaitan B364 x2070) writes:
> We just upgraded our 3/280 to a 4/300.  After installing 4.1.1 we were
> unpleasantly surprised to find that there is NO driver for the 1/2" tape
> drive.  SUN told us that others have had this same experience.  DOES
> ANYONE HAVE A DRIVER FOR THIS CONFIGURATION.....PLEASE HELP!!
>
> gaitan@sed.eeel.nist.gov

Gee I have the same problem, and MY salesman even told me it would be
supported. I was quite suprised to find out otherwise. Their support people
said we could pay them to write one of course. I would like to get
this driver also, and find NO reason why SUN cannot supply it. If it
compiled under SUN 3 for a VME based system, why not SUN 4
Barry A. Suskind                  Internet:   suskind%edoras@mdcbbs.com
MaBell: 703-560-5000x2348             UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!edoras!suskind
E-Systems / Melpar Division 7700 Arlington Blvd, Falls Church, VA 22046
JSNM                                             Just Stark Naked Magic