[comp.sys.sun] SPARCstation internal disk lossage

greg@johnny.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) (06/05/91)

>there is a known problem that can cause
>internal disks in Sun workstations to die after being turned off!  The
>multimedia/graphics group has been bitten twice by this in one week.
>
>The problem has to due with the internal lubricant in the drive drying
>out.  When the disk is turned off, it can't be started again.
>
>If you've experienced the aforementioned problem, I'd appreciate hearing
>from you.  It's always wise to have good reasons for nuking your local Sun
>office.  Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Yes, we have had no less than 5 different drives fail in this manner.
We have found that if you turn the machine off and leave it alone for a
week or so, the drives sometimes start working again!

Why just last weekend our building had a scheduled power outage that
resulted in another dead drive.

We heard a rumor that the failure had something to do with high humidity...

Since we have around 35 sparcstation 1s with these stupid drives in them we
are VERY interested in finding a solution to this problem.

						--Greg

bhaynes@gatech.edu (Brad Haynes) (06/28/91)

In article <2923@brchh104.bnr.ca> greg@johnny.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
>>there is a known problem that can cause
>>internal disks in Sun workstations to die after being turned off!  The
>>multimedia/graphics group has been bitten twice by this in one week.
>>
>>The problem has to due with the internal lubricant in the drive drying
>>out.  When the disk is turned off, it can't be started again.
>>
>>If you've experienced the aforementioned problem, I'd appreciate hearing
>>from you.  It's always wise to have good reasons for nuking your local Sun
>>office.  Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Four of our 4/60's have had problems something like this.  When the
machine is powered off/on the drive almost always hangs.  The system
recognizes the drive but can use it.  format will hang when it tries
to "probe for disks".  Usually whacking the machine on the side and
powering it off for a few minutes will bring it back to life.

I'd be interested in hearing anything you find out.

--
Brad

| Brad Haynes				| AT&T Tridom			|