[comp.dcom.telecom] telephone credit cards

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           04/14/87 13:19:33
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: telephone credit cards

 To: telecom@xx.lcs.mit.edu

 Does anyone know about the law and policy regarding charge cards following the
 divestment? I am puzzled by the following practice:

 Pacific bell sent me a card with the number consisting of my telephone number
 and a secret 4-digit code not on the card. ATT sent me a card with the same
 whole number INCLUDING the same 4-digit verifier embossed on the card.
 Both cards have magnetic strips. (I may have it reversed about which one
 was secret, which clear-text.)

 In any case, two facts appear: apparently there is still a "deal" between
 them about long-distance; I suppose in effect that when you charge, you
 needn't know whether the call is intra- or inter-lata, and the billing all
 gets done by Pac bell anyway. But it seems odd to have two cards from
 two different companies, that look different, that perform an identical
 practical and business function.

 Moreover it is interesting to see the choice of styles, whether you
 choose the secret or clear-text code to carry around.

 Thanks, Doug
   ;  telephone credit cards