[comp.dcom.telecom] TELECOM Digest V6 #31

Thompson.PA@XEROX.COM.UUCP (04/17/87)

Re:
	Date:    Fri, 10 Apr 87 11:55 EDT
	From:    <JEL@PSUVM> (Jon Loos 814/238-6649)
	Subject: Telephone Ring Detection

	Is it just my imagination, or did Radio Shack used to sell
	a chip that would detect the ring signal on a telephone line?

I think so, don't know whether or not they still do.  There certainly
are a number of chips on the market that will do that.  You could also
do it with a with an electronic ring generator chip of which there are
several.

I think that the one that Radio Shack sold is the Texas Insturments
TCM1520A

A brief description of it appears on pg 13 of

	TI's Telecom Circuits Selection Guide, 1983

	VLSI/LSI for Telecom Applications

Good luck

	Geoff

Geoff Thompson		Thompson.pa@Xerox.COM
475 Oakmead Pkwy	(408) 737-4690
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (04/20/87)

In article <870417-100022-2409@Xerox>, Thompson.PA@XEROX.COM writes:
> I think that the one that Radio Shack sold is the Texas Insturments
> TCM1520A

Yea, but just try to get some. It took me over three months to get 18 of
the things from a local distributor. I tried everyplace I could think
of (major firms [ie. Hallmark, Hamilton, Arrow, etc]) and they all quoted
lead times of 12 to 16 weeks from TI. It seems that everybody is using this
chip and there just aren't any around. It's a great chip, but if you
can't reliably get it what doog is it ???

Regards
-Brian

ARPA:	brian@umd5.umd.edu

USENET:	...!seismo!mimsy!brian@umd5.umd.edu