[comp.dcom.telecom] RISKS-4.67

LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

>The best solution to
>obnoxious electronic calling machines is legal - ban the damn things!

We have.  I just read in last week's paper that electronic calling devices
are prohibited by California's public utilities code, unless a human caller
comes on the line first and gets the callee's permission to listen to the
machine's sales pitch.  The article went on to say that many firms are
flaunting the law.

davids@well.UUCP (David Schachter) (04/24/87)

In article <LENOIL.12294323104.BABYL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU> LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:
>The article went on to say that many firms are flaunting the law.

They are not flaunting the law, they are flouting it.  To "flaunt" a law would
be to show it off, perhaps at a press conference.  To "flout" a law would be to
break it, ignore it, or evade it.

The phrase "Esc for ATtention, Home to SWitch" comes to mind.