[comp.dcom.telecom] outgoing amplifier

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (04/30/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           04/29/87 20:40:24
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: outgoing amplifier

 To: telecom@xx.lcs.mit.edu

 In telecom-digest no. 38,
        hplabs!well!johnw@seismo.CSS.GOV (John Winters) writes that he wants a
 5-watt amplifier to make his outgoing voice louder so his grandmother can
 hear.

 I can't reach his address to reply directly; I hope others will forward this
 and others' replies to him.

 Please note: it is only in recent years that stereo home amplifiers go up to
 50-100-150 watts, in order to use extremely low-efficiency speakers that
 provide various high-fidelity advantages. In the 40's and 50's, and AT PRESENT
 on cheap audio devices and cheap car systems, 1 to 5 watts is PLENTY. With
 your typical $5 regular-efficiency speaker, you could drive grandmothers
 completely crazy with 5 watts (in the same room).

 If you put 5 watts on an outgoing line with any efficient coupling, you would
 probably be talking to everyone that shared a cable with your line in the
 whole system. If not distorting your voice beyond recognition, also or
 instead.

 What's clearly needed is an amplifier on HER end. Very cheap boxes that one
 simply sits the headset in used to be available in stores, or use the same
 effort/money that would have amplified your end to work on her end. You could
 also consider buying her a speakerphone; and I wonder if the central offcie
 would do something for an elderly person, such as supply an amplified handset.

 My final comment would be: are you sure both your and her instruments are
 operating normally? It's at least possible that if either or both of you tried
 any modern 3rd party phone you could get an improvement. You could have an old
 standard with crusted-up carbon in your transmitter; people used to bang these
 around to loosen the carbon.

 Thanks, Doug
   w  outgoing amplifier