[comp.dcom.telecom] Submission for mod.telecom

larry@kitty.UUCP.UUCP (04/11/87)

In a recent article kludge%gitpyr@gatech.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> Is there any problem using telephone equipment which is not FCC licensed?
> I have some surplus Army field telephones (modified for common battery use),
> and some homebrew phones which are around the house.  I certainly hope that
> I can still operate it, although I could understand being prevented from
> selling such stuff.

	I will give you two answers:

(1)	The OFFICIAL answer is that you are only allowed to connect devices
	to the telephone line which are FCC registered (which carry FCC
	registration numbers), or devices which were "grandfathered" at
	the time FCC Part 68 took effect.  Grandfathered devices are
	listed by the FCC and by operating telephone companies, and are
	devices which were deemed acceptable to connect to the telephone
	line prior to the issuance of FCC registration numbers.  Most of
	the grandfathered devices consisted of telephone answering machines,
	modems and PBX's; these devices would now be at least 11 years old,
	and would be pretty much obsolete.

(2)	The UNOFFICIAL answer is that you could damn well connect anything
	you want to the telephone network, and not have a problem PROVIDED
	that the device was a telephone with no external source of energy
	(i.e., not some 120 VAC powered device).  Devices that utilize
	AC line power and are neither FCC-registered nor grandfathered
	should be carefully checked for powerline leakage before use.  It
	is extremely difficult to cause physical harm to the telephone
	company cable plant or central office equipment, but it is possible
	if you intentionally try.  It is also difficult to cause crosstalk
	on telephone company cables, but it is possible if you do something
	pretty stupid (like send a +20 dBm tone over the line), or if your
	motive is intentional interference.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In a recent article howard@cos.UUCP (Howard Berkowitz) writes:
> One minor point (minor until it gets you):  dial modems,
> especially the higher speed ones, may not work properly
> because the network interface device has resistors set
> for voice use, not data.  It is worth letting your telco
> know you are running higher speed data, because your
> network interface should then be configured to give you
> better signal to noise ratios, not important for voice.
>
> If they're going to charge more for data access, do this
> only after you have unacceptable problems.  Your problems,
> however, often are in the jack, not the local loop.

	The above article raises a good point, but it is not quite accurate.

	First, let's talk about data jacks.  There are two types of data
jacks with resistors:

1.	The Fixed Loop Loss (FLL) jack, such as the RJ41S (RJ42S and RJ43S
	for A-lead control where data lines terminate in key equipment).
	This jack provides direct tip and ring access through pins 5 and
	4, respectively.  It provides an attenuated tip and ring access
	through pins 2 and 1, respectively.  It is intended that voice
	signals utilize the direct line connection, while data signals
	utilize the attenuated line connection.  The value of the attenuator
	pad will be set by the telephone company according to loop loss
	so that the effective loss (total of loop loss and pad loss) between
	the jack and the central office will be between 8 and 9 dB.  The
	net result is that a 0 dBm data signal sent by the modem will
	reach the central office at -8 to -9 dBm.

	So the point is: the line connection through the resistor pad is for
	DATA use, and NOT for voice use.

2.	The Programmable Loss jack, such as the RJ45S (RJ46S and RJ47S for
	A-lead control where data lines terminal in key equipment).  This
	jack provides direct tip and ring access through pins 5 and 4,
	respectively.  A resistor installed by the telephone company across
	pins 7 and 8 (leads PR and PC) tells the modem what output level
	to send.  An infinite resistance tells the modem to send at -9 dBm;
	19,800 ohms sends at -8 dBm; 9,200 ohms sends at -7 dbm; 5,490 ohms
	sends at -6 dBm; ...; and a direct short sends at 0 dBm.  This
	resistor is sensed by internal modem circuitry, and has nothing to
	do with direct telephone line tip and ring.

	The telephone company will set the programming resistor such that
	the transmitted data signal will enter the central office at between
	-8 and -9 dBm (i.e., modem transmit level + loop loss = -9 dBm).

	Telling the telephone company that you are running "higher speed"
data will most likely accomplish nothing.  The telephone company could care
less about your data rate or noise concerns (at least for the price of a
POTS line); all the telephone company cares about is that your transmitted
data signal reaches the central office at between -8 and -9 dBm.  Period.
	Speaking candidly, if you feel compelled to send data at a greater
transmit level, you can defeat any FLL or Programmable data jack and send at
0 dBm - regardless of actual central office loop loss.
	While I don't want to get off on a tangent here, the fact is that
transmitting at a higher level is NOT necessarily going to result in a lower
error rate.  I can vouch for this from extensive personal experience.
Most of the newer modems have receive threshholds of < -40 dBm; this is
really quite a bit of sensitivity.  Transmitting at a higher-than-necessary
level can "strain" the ability of the band-pass filters in the modem to
reject the locally-generated transmit signal, and leakage of the transmit
signal into the modem receiver can often exacerbate a data line error
situation.
	So the moral is: LOUDER is not always BETTER. :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

randolph@cognito.UUCP (04/17/87)

At the end of a very good informative article on RJ-41 & RJ-45, Larry Lippman
(larry@kitty.UUCP) writes:

>	While I don't want to get off on a tangent here, the fact is that
>transmitting at a higher level is NOT necessarily going to result in a lower
>error rate.  I can vouch for this from extensive personal experience.
>Most of the newer modems have receive threshholds of < -40 dBm; this is
>really quite a bit of sensitivity.  Transmitting at a higher-than-necessary
>level can "strain" the ability of the band-pass filters in the modem to
>reject the locally-generated transmit signal, and leakage of the transmit
>signal into the modem receiver can often exacerbate a data line error
>situation.
>	So the moral is: LOUDER is not always BETTER. :-)

Moreover, some telco equipment does *not* have automatic gain control
and cannot handle "hot" levels.  This is especially a problem with
older frequency-muliplexors -- the high levels cause overmodulation
and the hot signal inteferes with adjacent signals on the same
carrier.  (I wonder: was this why telcos used to insist on Data Access
Arrangements?)
--
Randolph Fritz
sun!randolph

larry@kitty.UUCP.UUCP (04/18/87)

In a recent article dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> I have two lines at home, one normally used for a modem.
>
> I'm curious to know whether I can construct something which will
> let me achieve conference calling by using both lines -- the
> electronic equivalent to holding the mouthpiece of one phone to
> the earpiece of another, I guess.  In other words, if I'm at home
> talking to my wife on one line and our broker on the other, can
> I do something which will let them hear each other as well as me?
>
> I realize I can get conference calling from the phone company;
> I'm curious as to whether I can do it with what I already have.

	There are several methods of constructing a two-line conference
device:

1.	The _ideal_ method utilizes transformer isolation of each line,
	with a voice-switched hybrid-amplifier which supplies gain to
	the conference circuit (to compensate for connection loss so
	that the _distant_ parties can adequately hear _each_other_.)

2.	A passive circuit employing transformer isolation.

3.	Capacitor coupling of the two lines, possibly in conjunction with
	a resistor or inductor to "hold" one line (the local telephone set
	provides the DC resistance to hold the other line).

4.	Direct hard-wire connection of the T (tip) and R (ring) leads of
	each line.

	Of the above, (1) is the best approach, but such a circuit is not
trivial to design and build; (3) is a rather poor approach, and (4) is
absolutely atrocious (although it does work, after a fashion).
	This leaves (2) which, if done using the proper components, works
reasonably well, is inexpensive and easy to build, and is 100% safe to the
telephone network.  This article furnishes plans to build a conference
device based upon that method.  While building such a device and attaching
it to the telephone network without it having been FCC-registered may be
a technical violation of your "agreement" with your telephone company,
people connect such non-registered devices every day, with no one being
the wiser.  Since the enclosed circuit is intrinsically "safe" (i.e., no
ground reference or external power is used), I have no hesitation to provide
its construction plans.  Installation and operation is, of course, at the
sole risk of the user.
	This device connects to the T and R leads of each line, through
a four-pole switch.  When the switch is operated, the lines are coupled
together, and are also held through a resistor/inductor so that they
do not disconnect from the central office.
	Actual operation is at the discretion of the reader, and should
be self-evident.  An example would be if two single-line telephones
were present on a desk, with the device and its switch connected between
them.  In operation, a call would be made using telephone 1; the handset
of telephone 1 would be put aside while telephone 2 was used to dial
the other distant party; when the party on telephone 2 answered, the
conference switch would be operated and telephone 2 hung up; the user
would continue to use telephone 1 for the duration of the call, and
would release the conference switch to drop the telephone line holds
(actually on both lines) when the call or the conference was completed.
The user could, of course, choose to talk with telephone 2 after the
conference was completed, or could originate the call on telephone 2.
	The key to a successful implementation of this design is the
selection of a proper coupling transformer (called repeating coil,
in telephone parlance).  Any 'ole audio transformer will NOT work,
since each winding needs an EQUAL impedance between 500 and 1,000 ohms,
IN ADDITION to being able to handle at least 50 milliamperes of DC
current without saturating; it is this latter requirement which limits
the transformer selection.
	The best transformer would be a "surplus" telephone repeating
coil, with a type designation of 120C or 202A.  Such a device can often be
purchased for a few dollars from a surplus store or hamfest.  Other
sources would be a "friend" at a telephone company who would have
access to their surplus equipment (such surplus abounds these days as
telephone companies replace older equipment with ESS).  This repeating
coil has eight terminals since it has split windings; I have furnished the
proper connections for these terminals (improper connection may result
in very poor operation).
	If you can't find a surplus repeating coil, then try a regular
audio transformer that can handle the DC current; some typical part
numbers would be Stancor TA-52, TAPC-52; Triad TY-305P; UTC A-22, HA-108.
Equivalents to these transformers can often be found surplus for a few
dollars.
	If a transformer is used in place of the repeating coil, the
transformer will no doubt have only one winding on each side.  In this
case, ignore any center-tap lead, and just connect the resistor-capacitor
below in series with one lead.
	If anyone is wondering why the resistor-capacitor is connected
_between_ the split windings below it is because, well, er, that is just
the "traditional" way telephone circuits are designed when one has split
windings.
	There is nothing special about the resistors or capacitors;
just follow the specs below.
	Build the device in a case, with all leads properly insulated
from each other and from the outside world.

                     Switch     REP    Switch
T (Line 1)______________X_____  | |  _____X______________(Line 2) T
                        X   2 ) | | ( 4   X
                              ) | | (
                            1 ) | | ( 3
                     _________) | | (_________
                     |    |     | |      |    |
                  R1 /  C1|     | |   C2 |  R2/
                     \   _|_    | |     _|_   \
                     /   ___    | |     ___   /
                     \    |     | |      |    \
                     /    |     | |      |    /
                     |____|___  | |  ____|____|
                            6 ) | | ( 8
                              ) | | (
                            5 ) | | ( 7
R (Line 1)______________X_____) | | (_____X______________(Line 2) R
                        X                 X
            	      Switch            Switch

	REP	Repeating coil (i.e., transformer), type 120C, 202A,
		or equivalent (see text)

	R1, R2	Resistor, 600 ohms, 2 watts

	C1, C2	Capacitor, non-polarized, 2.0 uF @ 100 WVDC

	Switch	Four-pole single-throw toggle or rotary switch

larry@kitty.UUCP (04/19/87)

In a recent article Greg Earle (earle@jplpub1.JPL.NASA.GOV) writes:
> I live in the 213 Area code in L.A.  I recently moved, and want to get two
> lines for my new abode, one of which I will use exclusively for a modem
> line.  When I talked to Pacific Bell I was told I could (for a nice high
> fee, of course) get a `Data Access Line' which would (presumably) run from
> the local switching office to my home; a higher grade line would replace the
> normal voice grade phone line.  I was told that this was recommended for
> anyone doing data transmissions of 2400 baud or higher.  I almost bit; but
> then I thought, what about the rest of the way?  I would be calling JPL in
> Pasadena 99% of the time, which is in Area code 818, prefix 354.  Since I'm
> not a TELECOM expert, I just surmised that the calls I would make would go
> from my home, over my `good' data line, to the local switching office; then
> to whatever the local switching office for Pasadena is, and then over a
> (presumably) standard voice grade line to my other modem.
>
> My question for you experts is (a) is this something like the real path that
> the call will take (3 hops; home <=> switching office <-> s.office#2 <-> work)
> and (b) if this is so, then is there any point in getting a higher grade line
> for one's home, when one has no control over the line quality for the other
> 2/3 of the connection ?!?

	Let's break up this discussion into two areas: (1) quality of central
office subscriber lines (i.e., between your home/office and the telephone
company central office); and (2) quality of lines between telephone company
central offices.

	I'll answer (2) first, because it is the easier answer.  In general,
the quality of an interoffice trunk (i.e., a line connecting two telephone
company central offices) is FAR superior to the quality of any subscriber
line.
	In keeping with the DDD network operating goals and an overall
transmission design plan called VNL (Via Net Loss), the transmission loss
on most interoffice trunks originating at End Offices (Class 5) trunks is
carefully kept below 4.0 dB.  Interoffice trunk transmission loss on
Toll Center (Class 4) and up to Regional Center (Class 1) switching offices
is carefully kept below 2.6 dB, or even below 1.4 dB, depending upon the path.
	Such interoffice trunk design is generally done so precisely that
loss is kept within +/- 0.1 dB of the design goal on any interoffice trunk
of a given path to assure a uniform transmission quality.  In addition, such
interoffice trunks are generally equalized to have a reasonably flat
transmission characteristic between 300 and 3,000 Hz.  Furthermore since most
interoffice trunks originating in End Offices (except in high-density urban
areas where adjacent central offices are close together) are four-wire (i.e.,
separate receive and transmission paths - one for each direction) and are
terminated in a precision hybrid-network, the transmission quality will be
far superior to anything which could ever exist on a two-wire subscriber loop.
All interoffice trunks of Toll Center and up origin are four-wire.
	Noise level, ERL (Echo Return Loss), and other parameters which affect
the quality of transmission are also kept within precise design goals on
interoffice trunks.
	The BOC's and larger independent operating telephone companies
check the transmission quality of interoffice trunks on a regular basis,
often using automatic test apparatus such as ATMS (Automatic Transmission
Measuring System), CAROT (Centralized Automatic Reporting of Trunks), TFMS
(Trunk and Facility Maintenance System), etc.  Trunks which fail to pass
these automatic tests are disabled until repair is effected.
	So the point is: under virtually all circumstances, you should
have little concern about the transmission quality of interoffice trunks,
as compared to your own subscriber loop.
	(IMPORTANT NOTE: The above applies to what is traditionally known
as the DDD network; some of this standardization has gone to hell with the
advent of Alternate Long Distance carrier. The above information should
still be safely applicable if your call is intra-LATA in length, is
inter-LATA but served by the same operating telephone company at both ends,
or is routed through AT&T.  This is NOT a "plug" for AT&T; it's just a
simple fact of life since AT&T still runs all the major toll switching
centers in the U.S.)

	Now we'll get back to the first topic, which is the local subscriber
loop.  Subscriber loops are generally designed based upon only two parameters:
(1) DC resistance and (2) transmission loss at 1.0 KHz.
	Since most central office apparatus has subscriber loop resistance
limits between 1,200 and 1,500 ohms, resistance of a subscriber loop is
controlled to be within this range by selecting cable layout with sections
that have large-enough wire gauges (the SMALLER gauge sections are generally
CLOSEST to the central office).  If the resistance limit still cannot be
economically met with wire gauge selection alone, then a signaling range
extender (loop extender) will be connected to the line; this device is always
located in the central office.  Under this condition, the subscriber loop
resistance may be >> 1,000 ohms, but the loop extender has the sensitivity
to support such a higher resistance.
	In simple terms, the transmission loss of a subscriber loop is
directly proportional to its DC resistance - so a long loop will also have
a large transmission loss.  Invariably, subscriber loops greater than 10 kft
(kilofeet) in length will have loading coils installed every X-kft (there are
different loading schemes which use different spacing between loading coils);
these loading coils add inductance which compensates for the attenuation of
the loop that results from distributed capacitance.
	The worse case loss that any reasonable telephone company would impose
on a subscriber loop is about 9 dB.  New York Telephone, as an example,
tries to keep loop loss to no more than 6 dB - but not every loop is that
lucky. :-)
	If a maximum subscriber loop transmission loss goal of 6 to 9 dB
cannot be met through loading and cable routing, then a voice-frequency
repeater is installed on the subscriber line; this repeater is almost
always installed in the central office on the required lines.  Sometimes a
combination loop extender-repeater is used, but in many cases there will
be two discrete devices in the central office.
	Under most circumstances, subscriber loop loss is measured at only
1.0 kHz.  However, a frequency-vs-attenuation plot of a subscriber loop
can look like a roller coaster!  Since the human ear is rather forgiving,
for voice applications most telephone companies care little about the
frequency-vs-attenuation curve on a POTS (Plain 'Ole Telephone Service)
subscriber loop.
	However, MODEMS can care about this curve!  Subscriber loops
which run through mixed gauges of loaded cable, and/or run through
voice-frequency repeaters (especially of the older E6 variety) can have
some pretty ugly frequency-vs-attenuation curves.  The only way to flatten
the curve (and thereby make the line more attractive to data) is by means
of an equalizer, a better quality repeater (hybrid rather than a negative
impedance type like the E6), along with more careful design engineering of
the particular loop.
	This equalizer, repeater change, and additional engineering is not
necessary for most voice applications - so it isn't done.  However, an
equalizer and additional engineering DOES result in a superior subscriber
loop for data purposes.
	So, telephone companies generally charge more money for a better
subscriber loop design for data applications.  If you are making serious
use of data transmission at > 2,400 bps, the comparatively small additional
monthly and installation charge is well worth it to get a better subscriber
loop.
	I don't make a habit of defending telephone companies, but I must
say that I feel such an additional charge is reasonable.  They do have to
install additional equipment (under most circumstances), and certainly do
have to perform specific engineering on the design of the subscriber loop.
	As far as noise level on subscriber loops is concerned, this is
generally caused by wet terminals and splices and is really a repair problem.
There is little that can be done to reduce noise level on a subscriber loop
other than to track down wet or poor splices.  However, for the price of
a better quality loop, one generally gets a quantitative noise measurement
with some attempt at repair if the noise level is beyond normal limits.

	Now, to sum up and answer the $ 64 question: In my opinion, for data
transmission > 2,400 bps on LONGER SUBSCRIBER LOOPS (say > 2 miles from the
central office), an additional charge for a better quality loop (i.e.,
flatter frequency response and lower attenuation) IS a worthwhile expense.
At least, with a known good loop of known characteristics, one can look
elsewhere should data errors become a problem.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

howard@cos.UUCP (Howard C. Berkowitz) (04/22/87)

I do want to emphasize that it's bad practice to transmit at a higher
level than that which is designed for a local loop; it's quite accurate
that louder is not always better -- but it is important to be loud enough.

The worst horror story I've heard on excessive level, which may be
apocryphal:

An [unnamed by my informant in DATEC] user called his telephone test
board for a problem with the remote site's Bell 829 data auxiliary set.
[This is an interface device, for Telco use, which has a tone-operated
loopback feature].  The user complained that the unit would not go
into loopback.

Now, 829's are for telco use, not customer.  Most telcos are happy,
however, to let customers use them for fault isolation.  The 829
is put into loopback with at least a 1-second application of
2713 Hz tone.

In the story, the helpful test board tried to loop back the 829
in question.  It worked perfectly, but the user couldn't get
it to loop.  The test board then asked the customer to describe
exactly what he was doing; the answer was "oh, I send out 2600 Hz
at a good hot +10-20 dBm -- the limiter drops it to a legal level."

Horrified silence from test board.  A mystery of the last week
just resolved.

Over the past week or so, the telco had been installing a new
electronic switch in its central office, a switch equipped with
toll fraud detection.  "Blue Box" fraud uses a 2600 Hz tone;
somehow, the user assumed this was the loopback frequency.

Because the user 2600 tone went out at an extremely high level,
it crosstalked a large number of pairs in its cable.  The
new switch kept reporting massive simultaneous toll fraud attempts
(i.e., pure 2600 on a subscriber loop), a sufficiently large number
that equipment failure was assumed.  The switch had been torn
down repeatedly to find out why it assumed massive toll fraud
was in process.

larry@kitty.UUCP (04/26/87)

> Finally, If both my best friend and myself set call forwarding to
> each other, what happens when someone calls?
>
> [ ... Also, if you forward to someone who forwards to
> you the call goes "click", "click", busy. The two clicks are the
> trunks going between your central offices. If you do this to someone
> on the same ESS machine, it gives you a busy immediately. This is
> useful especially if you have your calls forwarded from home to work
> and vice versa. You can safely forward your calls bi-directionned until
> you get home and clear the forwarding. Also, I crashed our central office
> forwarding once to someone on the same machine (that was 12 years ago).
> --jsol]

	Re: the comment about "crashing" the central office...

	If anyone finds this hard to believe, I know of a specific example
where there was a bug in a particular generic software release used on some
early #2 ESS machines which had just been installed by New York Telephone
to replace SxS CDO's during the mid 70's.
	By using three telephone lines, and setting them up to forward as
A --> B --> C --> A, a call from another telephone to A as a "seed" would
force the #2 ESS to crash and switch to the standby processor, whereupon
a second occurence would wipe out the standby processor until the call
attempt was discontinued.  This situation would also set off remote alarms
at the SCC which handled these unattended #2 ESS machines.
	Needless to say, a software patch was quickly developed by WECO...

	The above scenario was probably unanticipated by the WECO team
that designed and wrote the software.  The public, however, seems to have
a knack for discovering these flaws rather quickly.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

larry@kitty.UUCP (04/26/87)

	While the Texas Instruments TCM1520A is a nice IC, it is possible
to build simple and reliable ringing detection circuits by other means.
Here are some suggestions which may be helpful in the design of circuits
which detect ringing:

1.	When a telephone goes on-hook and off-hook during hookswitch
(i.e., line switch) operation, a voltage transient is generated whose
voltage is the same order of magnitude as a ringing signal.  When a
rotary dial is used, each dial pulse is a momentary line open which
also generates these voltage transients.
	A poorly designed ringing detector circuit will falsely detect the
above voltage transients as ringing signals.
	To avoid this problem, ALL reliable ringing detector circuits
require a time constant.  NO ringing detector circuit (unless it is has
frequency discrimination - which is extremely rare) can tell the difference
between on-hook/off-hook transients and the ringing signal itself based
upon a voltage threshhold ALONE.
	Such a time constant can be established by three means: (1) integrating
the rectified voltage from the telephone line with a resistor-capacitor
before it drives an LED or relay; (2) using a thermistor in series with the
LED or relay (a traditional design approach, but the "right" thermistor is
difficult to obtain); (3) providing a specific timing circuit which looks
at the output of the optoisolator or relay, and requires that a signal be
present for a minimum period of time before asserting an output logic line.
	A reasonable integration time constant is between 200 and 600
milliseconds; i.e., the ringing signal must be present for this time period
before a detection logic line is asserted.

2.	All ringing detector circuits should have their telephone line
connection electrically isolated from ground, and should be coupled to the
telephone line using a series capacitor.  In general, the value of this
series capacitor should not exceed 0.68 uF, and such a capacitor should
be rated at 200 WVDC.  Excessive capacitance will cause voice-frequency
attenuation on the telephone circuit, and may also result in premature
"ring tripping" and dial-pulse distortion.
	In general, the effective DC resistance of a ringing detector
circuit - EXCLUDING the capacitor - should be a minimum of 1,000 ohms.
	Following the above capacitance and resistance constraints should
result in a ringing detector circuit which has a REN of less than 1.0 on
the "B" scale, and consequently should not interfere with proper operation
of the telephone line.

3.	Optoisolators are nice for ringing circuit detection, but proper
and reliable ringing detector circuits can be made with relays.  Use a
sensitive "plate" relay of 2,500 to 10,000 ohms resistance.  Connect a
full-wave bridge rectifier to the telephone line using a series capacitor;
connect the DC output to the relay in series with a resistor, and place a
capacitor across the relay winding to provide an integration time constant
(be sure to have this capacitor rated at at least 100 WVDC!).
	If your application is a ringing "extension" circuit - like to
drive an AC line horn, bell or light - you may find a plate relay with
a contact current rating sufficient for the job.  This makes for a pretty
simple circuit.
	Plate relays with the required resistance and sensitivity are
often available surplus for a couple of dollars.  Do NOT use an AC relay
rated for 120 VAC; AC relays of this type generally do not have enough
sensitivity and a high enough resistance for telephone applications.
Also, note that some plate relays (like certain Sigma models) have their
body as the common contact - so these relays MUST be properly insulated
from the case and outside world.
	The use of a relay to directly detect ringing and control an AC
power line circuit is a well-established design technique; however, use
extreme CAUTION when wiring such a circuit so that faulty construction
does not permit accidental connection between the telephone line and AC
power line!

4.	If you are serious about designing telephone circuits, take the
time to study the operation of a telephone line using a storage scope
with differential inputs (i.e., one input for TIP, one input for RING -
NEVER ground either TIP or RING).
	You will notice that -48 volts DC is ALWAYS present on the
telephone line, even during the actual ringing.  The 20 Hz ringing
voltage is actually superimposed across the -48 volts DC; this is
referred to as "superimposed ringing".  Superimposed ringing is done
to assure rapid operation of the "ring trip" relay in the central
office trunk circuit.
	Generally, telephone ringing is 1 second on, and 3 seconds off
(i.e., the "silent interval").
	If you are using PBX extensions to "play with" for telephone
circuit design, beware that their behavior may NOT be the same as
central office telephone lines.  For example, some PBX's use 30 Hz
rather than 20 Hz; and some PBX's do not superimpose the ringing signal
on -48 volts DC in the same fashion as a central office.  Also, PBX's
generally provide a "hotter" ringing signal than a central office
because your loop resistance to the PBX is generally << 100 ohms.

5.	None of what I have said applies to party lines.  You should
never attempt to design telephone circuits for connection to party lines.
Not only might you be detecting ringing for other parties, but improper
design or connection might also result in YOU getting billed for THEIR
telephone calls!

larry@kitty.UUCP (05/01/87)

In a recent article johnw@well.UUCP (John Winters) writes:
> I was wondering, would anybody out there be able to write me a very
> simple schematic for 5 watt amplifier which would amplify
> my outgoing voice on the phone?
> I talked to my local Bell guy and he said 5 watts would be allowed
> (my grandmother can't hear at all, along with other people i know and
> this would be handy)

	Hmmmm...  5 watts into 600 ohms; that would be sending into the
telephone line at about + 37 dBm.  Is that hot, or is that HOT?  Not only
would your grandmother hear your voice, but so would everyone else in your
central office!

	I didn't post this reply to make fun of John Winters; I believe
his statement that the "local Bell guy said 5 watts would be allowed".

	I just want to point out the INCREDIBLE ignorance which is
sometimes displayed by telephone company sales and administrative personnel
who deal with the public.  Many people naively believe that ANYTHING said
by ANYONE at the telephone company must be correct.  Wrong.  If you have
a technical question - especially concerning data transmission - INSIST
upon speaking with a person who is an engineer (common titles: "customer
services engineer" or "facilities design engineer").  You might get some
moaning and groaning from a salesperson about such a request to speak with
an engineer, but as far as I am concerned, it is your right to speak to a
technically competent person when it concerns a technical question about
transmission or network interface specifications.  This does not mean you
should abuse such a demand by asking questions about how to connect or repair
telephones, or how to design or build telephone equipment; your right to
obtain technical information should be properly confined to transmission and
network interface specifications ONLY.  You might be referred to a specific
AT&T or FCC technical reference; I consider such a referral to be a reasonable
response to a request for information, PROVIDED you are given a specific
publication number and where to obtain it.

	Concerning the original article, any person who has a hearing
impairment must solve the problem at THEIR END.  Amplifier handsets with
an adjustable volume control are readily available from AT&T Information
Systems and from other vendors of telephone apparatus.  Prices range from
$ 30.00 to $ 60.00 for such a handset.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cakitnele atn

larry@kitty.UUCP (05/02/87)

> In a recent article AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (*Hobbit*) writes:

	[discussion about SF-tone detectors in central offices]

> Isn't this a bit redundant in these CCIS-ridden days?

	I would think so!  Most toll fraud today occurs through the fraudulent
use of calling card numbers.
	However, during the 1970's when "blue box" fraud reached its peak,
the Bell System in particular did use 2600 Hz SF tone detectors.  One such
device was called [somewhat euphemistically] a Multichannel Tone Test Unit
(MTTU).
	One MTTU had the capacity to monitor up to 100 trunks.  The MTTU could
be used in a local office to monitor outgoing DDD access trunks, or in a
tandem office to monitor 2-wire or 4-wire intertoll trunks.  In the MTTU, each
trunk connection had a dedicated SF tone receiver which would alarm if an
SF signal longer than about 200 ms was detected.  The sensitivity was pretty
decent - something between -35 and -40 dBm - so it COULD conceivably be
susceptible to the crosstalk situation mentioned in the earlier article.
	The MTTU had a trunk identification unit, which would send the
identity of the "offending" trunk to the Call Identity Indexer of the
central office CAMA or LAMA recording apparatus.  This would allow the
origin (i.e., calling number) of the fraudulent call to be ascertained.

> Also, it seems rather improper for an office to assume that any occurrence of
> 2600 on a subscriber loop indicates possible fraud.  First of all, if someone
> wanted to defraud he'd just hike down to the nearest pay phone.  Second, there
> are a lot of OCC switches that respond to 2600, so the phone co has another
> think coming if they believe I'm committing toll fraud every time I clobber
> one of them upon completion of a call.  Fooey.

	If the [possibly apocryphal] crosstalk incident had occurred several
years ago, I would believe it.  If the incident is supposed to be contemporary,
then I would be skeptical that an operating telephone company is still using
such toll fraud detection apparatus (unless they have little or no CCIS and/or
are still using CAMA trunks with local ANI - at least not likely today in an
ESS office).
	Most message accounting today is LAMA; i.e., it is done in the local
central office.  Such message accounting has returned to the local central
office primarily to permit message unit timing on local calls.  So the point
is: the LAMA knows every number that a subscriber has dialed (by dial-pulse
and DTMF, that is).  Assuming that there is no CCIS or 3700 Hz out-of-band
signaling to cause a absolute denial of "blue box" usage, one can't implement
a "blue box" fraud without gaining access to a toll switching office.  And one
generally can't gain access to a toll switching office without creating one of
three situations:

1.	Dialing an inward WATS number.  Simple computer exception reporting
	from raw LAMA call data can ascertain if certain subscriber lines
	are making unusually large numbers of 800-number calls.  Of course,
	such excessive usage can be perfectly legitimate, but detection of
	such high usage, along with other "anomalous calling patterns" can
	be used to pinpoint subscriber lines where toll fraud is suspected.
	A "roving" SF-tone detector could then be attached to _specific_
	suspect subscriber lines.

2.	Dialing directory assistance in other area codes.  This is even easier
	to detect by exception reporting: one doesn't have many directory
	assistance calls lasting more than, say, three minutes!

3.	Dialing an actual toll call, but applying SF before answer to
	reseize the toll switching office and dial a "more expensive"
	toll call.  This is not very common because the subscriber line is
	still going to be billed for the original dialed toll call.

	In addition, most newer ESS offices closely monitor answer
supervision on outgoing toll trunks; such monitoring makes it difficult
to perpetrate "blue box" fraud.  Failure to achieve answer supervision
within say, three minutes results in a forced disconnect.  Once answer
supervision has been detected, its subsequent loss for more than say, 30
seconds will result in a forced disconnect.  Furthermore, there is ESS
software to monitor "anomalous" trunk answer supervision changes.

> The user-end symptoms of 2600 detection seem to be as follows: Beeeep.  Switch
> disconnects your call, or whatever its fancy.  Some switches drop the
> connection to the office completely, forcing the call to throw back to the
> office and return dial tone within a few seconds.  At any rate, in the
> background one can hear a small "grack" sort of click -- I would assume that
> this indicates the bridging-in of the more sophisticated "fraud detection"
> equipment that would listen for and report various other tones.  This is
> un-bridged again after about 20 seconds if nothing else happens.  I could
> determine this because in some offices the bridging equipment is flakey and
> introduces extra line hum while it's connected.

	Good heavens!  You actually tried it?! :-) :-) :-)

	You are most likely just hearing the originating register or its
ESS equivalent being switched into the circuit to accept the anticipated
MF signaling train, with the register "timing out" after 20 seconds of no
signaling.  Unless there is faulty apparatus, you will NEVER aurally detect
the presence of any SF monitoring devices; all such devices use bridging
amplifiers that result in an effective bridging loss of no more than 0.05 dB.

> Would someone closer to the technical end of the above like to explain how
> this works in greater depth?  And what is generally done with the generated
> reports when there's obviously no "fraud" happening on a given loop?

	Telephone company security personnel react very cautiously to any
suspected "blue box" fraud.  If an SF-tone detector or exception reporting
software results in "hits" for a given line on several different days,
chances are a dedicated SF-tone and MF signaling detector will be attached
to the suspect subscriber line.  Further information will then be obtained
that can be used in a prosecution; mere detection of SF tones is insufficient.
It is necessary not only to know exactly what destination number was dialed,
but to have some idea as to the identity of the _person_ using a given
subscriber line; merely knowing the subscriber line number where the fraud
originates is insufficient - the identity of the actual _person_ making the
call must be ascertained.
	In case anyone is wondering, it is the absolute right of any telephone
company or communications common carrier to attach such monitoring apparatus
to any subscriber's line.  Furthermore, under most circumstances, it is also
an absolute right of any such telephone company or communications common
carrier to aurally monitor any subscriber line to detect fraud; this may be
euphemistically referred to as "service observing" - and is more common than
telephone companies would like their subscribers to believe.

	The point I am trying to make in the above is that "blue box" toll
fraud is disappearing, and the use of toll fraud detection apparatus is
consequently diminishing.  While the incidence of "blue box" toll fraud has
decreased, it has unfortunately been replaced by fraudulent use of calling
card numbers, and most recently by cellular telephone "spoofing" fraud
(which is probably the worst can of worms yet!).

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jeh@pnet01.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) (05/03/87)

Here is an absurdly simple ring detector which I threw together years
ago, before hobbyists had access to optoisolators:

Scrounge an old phone with a conventional bell.  Disconnect and throw
away (or put in the junk box) everything but the 425B network (or
equivalent), the ringer coil, and the external ringer capacitor (if
present).  (The 425B network is the mysterious box with altogether
too many cryptically-labeled screw terminals on the top.)  Place a
magnetic reed switch in close proximity to the ringer coil.  Connect
the reed switch to whatever.

I never had any problem with this detecting dial pulses as rings, and
it is rather likely that it conforms to phone company specs.

        --- Jamie Hanrahan
        (uucp:  {akgua | hplabs!hp-sdd | sdcsvax | nosc}!crash!pnet01!jeh)
        (arpa:  crash!pnet01!jeh@nosc)
        (internet:  jeh@pnet01.CTS.COM)

larry@kitty.UUCP (05/04/87)

In a recent article steves@tektools.TEK.COM (steve shellans) writes:
> In my home I have a touchtone phone.  When I press a number, such as
> 7, for example, I hear 7 clicks coming back at me.  Even though
> I can dial a complete number, including area code in a couple of
> seconds, the wait after that while I listen to the entire 'readback'
> is very annoying.  (The number I dial most often is 790-0000, which
> is the local number for Allnet -- it seems to take forever.)
>
> From phones at work there is none of this, and all (outside) calls
> go through very quickly.

	I assume that you have a "true" touch-tone (DTMF) telephone at
home; not one of these touch-tone dial units which really put out
dial pulses.  In either case, the following is still applicable to
the situation of using a touch-tone telephone in some older central
offices.

	It sounds like your home telephone service is furnished by a
"progressive control" electromechanical central office, such as step-by-step
(SxS) or Stromberg-Carlson XY, that has BEEN UPDATED FOR DTMF SERVICE.  Since
you mention later in your article that your telephone company is GTE, I would
bet money on the office having Automatic Electric 35E-type SxS apparatus.
	In general terms, "progressive control" central offices route the
call through a series of devices known as "selectors" - one digit at a time
in REAL TIME as the number is dialed ("step-by-step", as they say :-) ).
	This type of central office was designed around the use of a rotary
dial in the subscriber telephone.  Since these are electromechanical switches,
there are minimum times required for the switches to operate.  The dialing
rate was standardized to accommodate the electromechanical response time of the
switches.  The call-processing speed of such offices is therefore limited by
rotary dial pulsing specifications, which are typically:

1.	Pulsing rate is a nominal 10 pulses/sec, which can typically vary
	from 8 to 12 pulses/sec.  A digit "1" has one pulse, a digit "2" has
	two pulses, ..., and a digit "0" has ten pulses.  Therefore, a digit
	"0" typically requires 1.0 seconds to dial.

	There are further specifications for the pulses within each
	digit.  Pulses are line opens, and are generally specified as being
	60 milliseconds open followed by 40 milliseconds closed; also referred
	to as 60% break (since each pulse interval is 100 milliseconds).

2.	Inter-digit dialing interval (i.e., between dialed digits), of at
	least 0.25 seconds.  So, to dial four "0"'s will require a minimum
	of 5.0 seconds (4 dialing intervals + 4 inter-digit intervals).

	So doing a bit of calculation, at BEST, dialing your example number
of 790-0000 is going to take at least 8.35 seconds before the call can reach
the 790 central office.  This assumes an interoffice trunk between your office
and the 790 office - if not, add another second for local tandem switching.
In addition, add another 1.0 second for call processing in the 790 office.

	Now as I said earlier, these SxS and similar central offices respond
only to dial pulses, because the pulses themselves control the switching
apparatus.  There is no way that the switching apparatus per se can deal
with DTMF signals.
	However, for a number of years there have been converter circuits
for use in SxS offices which receive a string of DTMF digits, decode them,
store them as digital information in a register, and then outpulse the
digits as rotary dial pulses at the nominal rate of 10 pulses/sec.
	These converter circuits are installed between the "linefinder"
and the "first selector".  When a subscriber line goes off hook and requests
dial tone, an idle linefinder is selected by some simple relay arbitration
logic.  Each linefinder is a type of SxS switch which is dedicated to one
particular first selector; when the linefinder completes its job and connects
the tip and ring of the subscriber line to the first selector, the first
selector returns dial tone.  At this point, the first selector can respond
in real time to the first dialed digit.
	Subscriber lines are typically arranged in groups of 100 or 200
lines, and each such group has access to a maximum of 10 or 20 linefinder-
first selectors.  The actual concentration ratio depends upon the particular
type of SxS apparatus and the traffic design of the central office, but the
typical concentration ratio at this point is 10:1.  Typically, only ten
percent of all lines in a given line group can make an outgoing call; if
all linefinders in a given line group are busy, a line requesting service
waits for for dial tone - since the dial tone is the indication that a
first selector is available.
	So the point is: these DTMF converter circuits get installed before
the first selector, are shared by a number of other lines in the same group,
and in effect "fool" the first selector and all subsequent switches into
believing that they are being controlled by a rotary dial.
	Since one can enter DTMF digits in a keypad at least 10 times
faster than using a rotary dial, and since the SxS or other progressive
control central office can only operate as fast as a rotary dial - use of
the DTMF converter results in no faster switching time than using a rotary
dial.
	The "clicks" you hear correspond to the dial pulses being generated
by the DTMF converter, and are the impulse noise created by the operation of
the selectors in your dialing path.
	If there is no faster switching time by adding DTMF converters to
a SxS office, then why do telephone companies install such devices?
Because customers "feel better" knowing that touch-tone is now available
in their particular central office, because the telephone company can charge
more for the touch-tone service, and because telephone companies don't want
to spend the money to replace the SxS office with ESS!

> Whenever I travel on business and need
> to make calls, I always find electronic switching.

	You might still be going through a #1 or #5 crossbar office, or
some other common-control electromechanical office; such offices when
equipped with DTMF originating registers will usually switch a call in
a short enough period of time as to be indistinguishable from ESS.

> My question is this  --  how unusual (in the U.S.) is the kind of
> switching that I have from my home phone.  If this is something
> pretty rare, I would like to contact my phone company (GTE) and
> the state utilities regulator to bring some pressure to bear to
> update the equipment into the modern world.

	I don't think there is much pressure that can be brought to compel
an operating telephone company to upgrade if they don't want to.  They've
given you DTMF service, they've given you DDD access, they've probably
implemented coin-free operator, 800 and 911 service at coin telephones (done
with a similar adapter card installed in the coin telephone linefinder group),
and that's really about all the telephone service that any operating telephone
company is OBLIGATED to provide.
	ESS features are nice, but they cost money to provide since they
require total replacement of the SxS office with ESS equipment.  New ESS
equipment for a central office typically costs between $ 500.00 and $ 1,000.00
per subscriber line, with the higher figure being more common.  That's a lot
of money - that the telephone subscriber has to eventually pay for.  This
means that SxS and other electromechanical offices in "outlying" areas will
be around for years to come.
	I don't disagree with your desire for better quality telephone
service, but the point is: who is going to pay for the ESS to provide it?

> Also, does anyone know when the heyday of this kind of equipment was?

	SxS and other progressive control central office equipment for
smaller central offices peaked in usage during the late 1960's; common
control electromechanical switches such as crossbar and its predecessor
panel (ugh!) were just not economical for offices with less than say, 3000
lines.
	During the 1960's small "packaged" crossbar switches became available
(like those from NEC), along with hybrid ESS-electromechanical switches,
followed by true ESS switches.  These switches made it economically feasible
to replace SxS and similar progressive control central offices.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

howard@sundc.UUCP (05/05/87)

In an earlier article, I referred to an incident, which I suggested
possibly was apocryphal, of problems due to 2600 Hz crosstalk
affecting tone fraud detection equipment.

I was told of the several years ago, at an ANSI standards meeting
by a telephone industry employee.  The incident probably took
place in the late 70's or early 80's, and possibly was in
Chicago.