[comp.dcom.telecom] Ringback codes

pdb@SEI.CMU.EDU (Pat Barron) (05/17/87)

Every once in a while, someone posts a note asking about ringback codes
(numbers to dial to make your own telephone ring).  Unfortunately, these
codes aren't the same everywhere, and are mostly undocumented.

I've discovered the following method of making my own phone ring, and
it should work everywhere.  It only rings the phone once, but if all
you're interested in is verifying that you can recieve calls, that's
all you need.  It requires that you have Call Waiting on your line,
and you also need an AT&T phone credit card.

Pick up your phone and call your own number using the credit card.  You
should hear the Call Waiting tone immediately, followed by the ring
tone.  Hang up; your phone will ring once.  This doesn't work if you
just try to direct-dial your own number, even if you have Call Waiting.
Your CO is smart enough to know that it makes no sense to allow you to
call yourself.  Using the credit card (apparently) bypasses your CO.

--Pat.

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.EDU.UUCP (05/23/87)

> Every once in a while, someone posts a note asking about ringback codes
> (numbers to dial to make your own telephone ring).  Unfortunately, these
> codes aren't the same everywhere, and are mostly undocumented.

    i use a technique that has worked flawlessly whenever and wherever
i have tried it:
	dial 0
	ask the operator to ring your number
	hang up
('course, you do need to know your own number...)

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

grieggs@elroy.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <8705171242.AA10372@ci.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@SEI.CMU.EDU (Pat Barron) writes:
>Your CO is smart enough to know that it makes no sense to allow you to
>call yourself.  Using the credit card (apparently) bypasses your CO.

At least on GTE in Torrance, the CO is not all that smart. I am able to
dial my own number, hang up immediately, and have it ring once...

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465