[comp.dcom.telecom] 10777+ billing

mse@Phobos.Caltech.EDU (Martin Ewing) (05/13/87)

David Sherman's query:

>>> One little advantage I note to the divestiture (and all that) is that
>>> now I can prefix long distance calls with "10777" and I never get billed...
>>>
>>Well, actually, a friend of mine did this, and he got the bill for the
>>calls about 7 months later, but he did get it.  Beware!
>
>I'm curious about the logistics of enforcement here...

Yeah, that was part of my original concern.  I used 10777+ at my previous
residence and moved in February, changing my number.  Now, are the SPRINT
enforcers going to track me down for their lousy few bucks?  We'll see.

At current interest rates, a 7 month delay in billing is like 4-5% off your
bill.  Why don't they promote this in their ads? :-)

  Martin Ewing

drach@SUN.COM (Steve Drach) (05/14/87)

10222 (MCI) catches you faster.  It was included in my next Pac bell bill.
I've never (so far) been charged for 10777.

rob.UUCP@panda.UUCP.UUCP (05/15/87)

Where does one find out what numbers work?  I tried 10222 1 xxx xxx xxxx and
it went thru.  How does MCI know my address to send a bill?  Will it be on
my NETCO bill added on after the ATT section (ATT is my dial-1 carrier)?

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (05/21/87)

Your Alternative Long Distance Carrier gets a string that looks like;

KP-##-YOURNUMBER-ST KP-NUMBERYOUARECALLING-ST

The ## tells if you are on a party line, or some such, and specifies
variant pasring for the following MF digits.  Usually, for a direct
dialed call, this is 01.  This is called ANI for Automatic Number
Indentification.  It is provided as per the specifcation for Feature
Group D, as specified in the Modified Final Judgement in the ATT
anti-trust case.

In other words, if you use an illegal credit card or some such, you
will get caught.

--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analysts International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours." - R. Bach

stevem@fai.UUCP.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <952@aicchi.UUCP> umix!itivax!chinet!aicchi!dbb (Burch) writes:

>Your Alternative Long Distance Carrier gets a string that looks like;
>
>KP-##-YOURNUMBER-ST KP-NUMBERYOUARECALLING-ST

"looks like" is right as there are actually some 20 or more variations of this
format depending on the type of call.  But the actual point was right in that
the long distance carrier always gets the calling number.

--

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.